Letter Transcripts from John S. Weiser, Co. G, 130th Vol. Inf. Rgt.

  • thirdpaclugh
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 18, 2008
      Hey,

      I have transcripts of five letters from Pvt. John S. Weiser before and
      after the battle of Antietam. I will post them on the list if anyone
      is interested. I procured them from the park ranger several years ago.
      The descriptions are quite vivid and interesting.

      Let me know if it is worth the time to copy them and place them on file.

      Dave Clugh
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 19, 2008
        Absolutely!

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 19, 2008
          Ditto! I'd love to see if they mention LTC Levi Maish or Lt. William
          A. Givler.
        • David Clugh
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 19, 2008
            I have created a new file in the file section of the group page that include the letters. They are on a single document with five pages one for each letter.

            Enjoy the reading.

            BTW. the spelling is exactly as was transcribed. J.S.W. did not do much punctuation...He must have been fairly educated as otherwise he does a fair job in describing things.

            Dave Clugh

            Sergeant, 3rd PA Light Inf. Coy.

            www.hmisite.com

          • robert blama

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                David,

                I did not see an attachment with files. Perhaps the group email
                filtered the letters out?

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008

                  Click on "Files" in the links on the upper left of this page. The
                  letters are there except they are in Word 2007--docx file extension.
                  Microsoft has a compatability package to download if you can't read
                  docx files.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                    Larry;

                    It appears I am not getting them at all!

                    I do not use the web based board.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                      It would be nice if he could post them directly rather than as
                      attachments.

                      Click on "Files" in the links on the upper left of this page. The
                      letters are there except they are in Word 2007--docx file
                      extension.
                      Microsoft has a compatability package to download if you can't
                      read
                      docx files.

                      > David,
                      >
                      > I did not see an attachment with files. Perhaps the group email
                      > filtered the letters out?

                      > from

                    • Jim Rosebrock
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                        Here are the letters as a word 2003 doc attached to this emai for anyone having difficulties

                        It would be nice if he could post them directly rather than as
                        attachments.

                        Click on "Files" in the links on the upper left of this page. The
                        letters are there except they are in Word 2007--docx file
                        extension.
                        Microsoft has a compatability package to download if you can't
                        read
                        docx files.

                        Larry

                        --- In TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@. ..>
                        wrote:

                        > David,
                        >
                        > I did not see an attachment with files. Perhaps the group email
                        > filtered the letters out?

                        > from

                      • Jim Rosebrock
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                          Let me try again

                          wrote:

                          > David,
                          >
                          > I did not see an attachment with files. Perhaps the group email
                          > filtered the letters out?

                          > from

                        • Harry Smeltzer
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                            Jim,

                            You can't send attachments to the group. Yahoo deletes them.

                            Gerry,

                            If you want to read what Jim posted, go to the Yahoo site. Log in and you can read them there. That's what the files feature is for.

                            Harry

                            wrote:

                            > David,
                            >
                            > I did not see an attachment with files. Perhaps the group email
                            > filtered the letters out?

                            > from

                          • Jim Rosebrock
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                              THanks.  Didnt know that when I tried to send it out

                              From: Jim Rosebrock <pointsalines@ yahoo.com>

                              To: TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com

                              Date: Friday, June 20, 2008, 7:15 PM

                              From: G E Mayers <gerry1952@verizon. net>