Re: [TalkAntietam] Little Known Places at Antietam

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
      Tom;

      Would this have been before Anderson's Brigade moved from
      somewhat near the present cemetery up through the Piper Swale to
      the Sunken Road?

      That would be the only way I could see some NC boys being killed
      by the same shell...unless it was NC boys in units other than
      those belonging to Anderson.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
        See http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/tour/n_woods/niclos.html for a map
        that shows the region around Nicodemous heights; actually, it shows what
        you should be able to see from there.

        Regards,
        TR Livesey
        tlivesey@...

        kamills wrote:

        > Since we are talking about landscapes, where exactly is Nicodemous
        > Heights? I have been to Antietam many times, but still have a
        > hard time with this location.
        >
        > Thank you
        > Andy

        > Tony,
        > Basically it is the knoll in Mt. View Cemetery across from the
        > National Cemetery. Joe Harsh and I scouted this a few years back.
        > Second alternative is the ridge just toteh north, but I think the
        > cemetery is correct. Surprisingly good view from there.

      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
          I don't remember off-hand, but I think it is Joe's book, maybe STS, not TAF.

        • Bill or Glenna Jo Christen
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
            suggestions...

            The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
            positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.

            Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?

            Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

            Bill Christen
          • TR Livesey
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
              Here are a few suggestions I would add...

              The southeast corner of Otto's 40 acre cornfield. Nifty place if you know where to cut
              through the brambles. You can see where the 4th RI made its 'stand'.

              The extreme right flank of the Federal line, near the Nicodemus house. We've all
              been there, but if you are not whizzing by at 50 m.p.h on the bypass, there is
              some very interesting terrain, particularly where a gully opens up to
              the east, used by Gibbon's (and others troops) to move east/west.

              The Reel farm. There is the well known photograph of the burned out Reel
              farm, but few actually visit the spot.

              The bluffs on the south side of the Boonsboro turnpike, looking down on
              the Newcomer farm, where Pleasonton's calvary fanned out. The area is
              readily accessible, but rarely visited.

              The Sharpsburg ridge. Such a big feature, it is hard to recognize up close,
              but if you trace it from the Middlekauf farm southward to the visitor's center,
              and then westward where it runs off the battlefield, you can see how the battle
              pivoted along the crest line.

              The west slope of the Porterstown ridge, between the lower and middle bridges,
              alone the line of Federal Artillery. Great view looking westward over the
              battlefield.

              The peak of the hill where the Antietam bends, held by the 50th GA (not the
              Georgian overlook). Very wooded today, was wooded then too.

              All locations described above are in the park, and no trespassing is required.

              Regards,
              TR Livesey
              tlivesey@...
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                Bill;

                Those are good questions. However, the camps of all the troops of
                the Ninth Corps might have been on the ridges back beyond the
                Lower Bridge on the farm now presently used by groups as a group
                campsite and certainly spread out in that general area. This is
                my opinion but have nothing solid on this.

                As to Jackson's HQ the morning of the battle, everything I have
                read seems to indicate a very flexible "HQ" centered around the
                West Woods area.

                As to Holmes, I wonder if the monument to the Philadelphia
                Brigade accurately positions the middle of the brigade's lines at
                the time of their halt in the West Woods. To accurately pinpoint
                Holmes's location in the battle line might require a knowledge of
                where both his regiment and his company were situated. Wonder if
                Holmes himself ever left any writings about where he was at the
                time he was shot in the neck?

                Your humble servant,
                Gerry Mayers
                Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

                Edward Lee

                > The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the
                battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
                > positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.
                >
                > Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?
                >
                > Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when
                he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

                > Bill Christen

                Service.