6 NY Cav

  • dean_essig
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2008
      Hi Guys!

      Anyone know where the 6 NY Cav (unassigned 9th Corps) was on the 17th and what it might
      have been doing?

      I know 8 companies under Col. Thomas Devin was under 9th Corps while two of the
      companies were doing provost duty for 2nd Corps.

      No mention in the OR beyond the OOB lists and the 1 wounded man in the two provost
      companies. Nothing additional in Carmen. The unit doesn't seem to show up on the Carmen-
      Cope maps. Dyer's gives it credit for being at South Mountain and Antietam, I don't doubt it,
      but nothing surfaces beyond that.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2008
        Dean,

        Here is what I found in Hall, Hillman A. Chairman, "History of the
        Sixth New York Cavalry (Second Ira Harris Guard)," Worcester, MA: The
        Blanchard Press, 1908, reprint, Salem, MA: Higginson Book Company,
        n.d.:

        Page 62: "In the afternoon four companies of the Sixth New York were
        sent on a reconnoitering expedition, in which they captured some of
        Ashby's cavalry. Cannonading was kept up all night. The fight was a
        fierce and hotly contested one. A large piece of woods in which the
        rebels were concealed was a perfect sheet of fire from the artillery
        and musketry. During the battle a detail was made from I and M
        squadron to cross the Stone (sic) bridge and learn if any of the
        enemy was near the old Stone (sic) house. There were plenty of them
        there. Thomas Leach of Troop M was wounded in the slight skirmish
        that took place."

        From page 54: "The regiment was again thrown out on the left, and the
        next day, during the battle of the 17th, five companies, under Major
        Carwardine, were ordered to the mouth of Antietam Creek, where they
        succeeded in holding in check 1000 rebel cavalry then threatening our
        flank, capturing a major and one private of Stuart's cavalry with
        their horses."

        Following bits from a piece I'm working on re cavalry during the
        Maryland Campaign:

        "Munford, with the Second and Twelfth Virginia Cavalry, remained at
        the far right (southern) flank of Lee from 16 September to 18
        September protecting the bridge on Harpers Ferry Road over Antietam
        Creek near Antietam Furnace, and also Myers Ford across the Antietam,
        and Blackford's Ford across the Potomac. His line extended about one
        and one-third miles from Walker's right flank; he established his
        headquarters at the Blackford House on Millers Sawmill Road. His
        brigade, undisturbed by any of Pleasonton's cavalry regiments, also
        guarded the north (east) side of the Potomac from any Union movements
        from Pleasant Valley and Harpers Ferry to the south. His skirmishers
        did fire on Federal units on the afternoon of 17 September as they
        approached the Harpers Ferry Road holding them off. These were
        apparently some companies from the Sixth New York Cavalry which were
        serving as an escort for Burnside. They reported capturing a major
        and one private along with their horses."

        "More Federal artillery came up to challenge the guns on the next
        ridge and Cemetery Hill: the two remaining sections of Tidball's
        battery came up and were placed on the right of the road as
        Dennison's battered section followed; Hains's battery came up and
        also turned to the right placing its guns on Tidball's left;
        Robertson's battery followed forming on his left and rear; Gibson's
        battery then placed its guns between Robertson and Hains. Confederate
        infantry finally retreated as they came under additional cannon fire
        from other guns behind the Antietam as seen in the above map. Once
        all the guns were in place, Pleasonton's cavalry followed to support
        their guns. The Fourth Pennsylvania remained on the right side of the
        road where their fallen commander left them, and the Fifth U. S.
        Cavalry formed on its left. The rest of the cavalry formed on the
        left side of the road: the Sixth Pennsylvania, a squadron of the
        Eighth Pennsylvania, the Third Indiana, the Eighth Illinois, and the
        First Massachusetts. The cavalry remained under Confederate artillery
        fire and spent an uncomfortable afternoon dodging shells. The nature
        of the country was so difficult for cavalry action that it could not
        be used effectively to protect the guns in any event had it been
        mounted. Regular U. S. infantry came up to relieve the cavalry
        skirmishers about 1 P.M. Also at that time, a squadron from the
        Eighth Pennsylvania and the Twelfth Pennsylvania moved to the west
        side of the Antietam and spent the rest of the afternoon gathering
        stragglers until nightfall. At 3 P. M. the First Massachusetts moved
        across to the right of the road and rode about 500 yards to the north
        to shelter behind a ridge. The Fifth U. S. and the Fifth and Sixth
        Pennsylvania remained in support of the batteries until the guns were
        withdrawn and followed them to their old bivouac near Keedysville
        close to the Pry House. The Third Indiana and the Eighth Illinois
        were sent to support Meade per McClellan's orders and bivouacked on
        the west bank of the Antietam in the right rear of the infantry."

        Larry F.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Guys!
        >
        > Anyone know where the 6 NY Cav (unassigned 9th Corps) was on the
        17th and what it might
        > have been doing?
        >
        > I know 8 companies under Col. Thomas Devin was under 9th Corps
        while two of the
        > companies were doing provost duty for 2nd Corps.
        >
        > No mention in the OR beyond the OOB lists and the 1 wounded man in
        the two provost
        > companies. Nothing additional in Carmen. The unit doesn't seem to
        show up on the Carmen-
        > Cope maps. Dyer's gives it credit for being at South Mountain and
        Antietam, I don't doubt it,
        > but nothing surfaces beyond that.

      • Dean Essig
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 17, 2008
          Excellent Larry... thank you! That nails it down very well for me.