Re: [TalkAntietam] Introduction

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
      Ok. Stephen....

      From: "Stephen Recker" <recker@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 12:16 AM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Introduction

      GE,

      Respectfully...

      O.T. Reilly, writing for the Antietam Wavelet in 1888:
      Oct 20 Hon. L.E. McComas and Col. H.K. Douglas will jointly
      discuss the
      tariff question in Hagerstown next Tuesday.
      Oct 27 Col. H. Kyd Douglas will address the voters of this
      district on
      Saturday the 27th.
      Nov 3 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
      audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr.
      Douglas
      spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful
      bouquets of
      flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
      him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the
      gentlemen
      managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the
      ladies’
      gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance
      refused to
      act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t
      know
      what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the
      weight,
      although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee
      pots
      with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
      Remained in our town until Sunday noon.

      He obviously knew that HKD went by Colonel. Eighteen years later,
      when
      O.T. wrote his guide book, he called him "Gen.", but that
      could've been
      a joke/honor/typo/mistake. Who knows. But it hardly calls O.T.'s
      general veracity, so to speak, into question, IMHO.

      I'm transcribing O.T.'s articles at otreilly.virtualantietam.com.
      What
      I am finding is that whenever I think O.T. may have gotten
      something
      wrong, it usually ends up to be a hole in my scholarship, not
      his.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 13, 2008
        Speaking of which, I will be giving an O.T. Reilly tour for the
        Sharpsburg Heritage Festival this September. Hope to see all of you
        there!

        Cheers,
        Stephen

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
          It's September 13-14. There is no schedule that I know of yet, except
          my tour, which is 1pm both days, and music that also starts at 1pm.
          I'll post it when it's finished. Thanks.

          Stephen