Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Little Known Places at Antietam

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
      Andy,
      It is within the boundary, under scenic easement and cannot be developed, but
      privately owned. It is off-limits w/o permission of the owners, and they are
      quirky. The last time I went up there I called the son, who was very
      accommodating, but when I got there the old man gave all kinds of grief.
      Luckily I was touring a group of Marines, who didn't intimidate very easily.
      It is a nice view from there, but Pelham was gone from there by 6:30 am. Joe
      Harsh downplays its importance, and makes a good case, but I think it still
      held strong strategic value. The high ground behind J. Poffenberger's house
      is higher, and commands the ridge, but if the Federals had acquired it then
      it might have been a very different story.
      Tom

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
        Tom;

        Would this have been before Anderson's Brigade moved from
        somewhat near the present cemetery up through the Piper Swale to
        the Sunken Road?

        That would be the only way I could see some NC boys being killed
        by the same shell...unless it was NC boys in units other than
        those belonging to Anderson.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

        Edward Lee

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
          See http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/tour/n_woods/niclos.html for a map
          that shows the region around Nicodemous heights; actually, it shows what
          you should be able to see from there.

          Regards,
          TR Livesey
          tlivesey@...

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
            Gerry,
            I don't remember off-hand, but I think it is Joe's book, maybe STS, not TAF.

          • Bill or Glenna Jo Christen
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
              suggestions...

              The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
              positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.

              Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?

              Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

              Bill Christen
            • TR Livesey
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                Here are a few suggestions I would add...

                The southeast corner of Otto's 40 acre cornfield. Nifty place if you know where to cut
                through the brambles. You can see where the 4th RI made its 'stand'.

                The extreme right flank of the Federal line, near the Nicodemus house. We've all
                been there, but if you are not whizzing by at 50 m.p.h on the bypass, there is
                some very interesting terrain, particularly where a gully opens up to
                the east, used by Gibbon's (and others troops) to move east/west.

                The Reel farm. There is the well known photograph of the burned out Reel
                farm, but few actually visit the spot.

                The bluffs on the south side of the Boonsboro turnpike, looking down on
                the Newcomer farm, where Pleasonton's calvary fanned out. The area is
                readily accessible, but rarely visited.

                The Sharpsburg ridge. Such a big feature, it is hard to recognize up close,
                but if you trace it from the Middlekauf farm southward to the visitor's center,
                and then westward where it runs off the battlefield, you can see how the battle
                pivoted along the crest line.

                The west slope of the Porterstown ridge, between the lower and middle bridges,
                alone the line of Federal Artillery. Great view looking westward over the
                battlefield.

                The peak of the hill where the Antietam bends, held by the 50th GA (not the
                Georgian overlook). Very wooded today, was wooded then too.

                All locations described above are in the park, and no trespassing is required.

                Regards,
                TR Livesey
                tlivesey@...
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                  Bill;

                  Those are good questions. However, the camps of all the troops of
                  the Ninth Corps might have been on the ridges back beyond the
                  Lower Bridge on the farm now presently used by groups as a group
                  campsite and certainly spread out in that general area. This is
                  my opinion but have nothing solid on this.

                  As to Jackson's HQ the morning of the battle, everything I have
                  read seems to indicate a very flexible "HQ" centered around the
                  West Woods area.

                  As to Holmes, I wonder if the monument to the Philadelphia
                  Brigade accurately positions the middle of the brigade's lines at
                  the time of their halt in the West Woods. To accurately pinpoint
                  Holmes's location in the battle line might require a knowledge of
                  where both his regiment and his company were situated. Wonder if
                  Holmes himself ever left any writings about where he was at the
                  time he was shot in the neck?

                  Your humble servant,
                  Gerry Mayers
                  Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                  http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

                  Edward Lee

                  > The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the
                  battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
                  > positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.
                  >
                  > Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?
                  >
                  > Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when
                  he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

                  > Bill Christen

                  Service.