Re: [TalkAntietam] Introduction

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
      Dear Stephen,

      It is not that I doubt what you say...but I wonder how much of
      what OT wrote in his book is accurate? For one instance, he has H
      K Douglas as a Confederate General..........

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
        Hey Corey,

        Looks like a reunion! Welcome aboard.

        Scott Hann

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "corey.macleod"

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
          GE,

          Respectfully...

          O.T. Reilly, writing for the Antietam Wavelet in 1888:
          Oct 20 Hon. L.E. McComas and Col. H.K. Douglas will jointly discuss the
          tariff question in Hagerstown next Tuesday.
          Oct 27 Col. H. Kyd Douglas will address the voters of this district on
          Saturday the 27th.
          Nov 3 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
          audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
          spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
          flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
          him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
          managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
          gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
          act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
          what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
          although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
          with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
          Remained in our town until Sunday noon.

          He obviously knew that HKD went by Colonel. Eighteen years later, when
          O.T. wrote his guide book, he called him "Gen.", but that could've been
          a joke/honor/typo/mistake. Who knows. But it hardly calls O.T.'s
          general veracity, so to speak, into question, IMHO.

          I'm transcribing O.T.'s articles at otreilly.virtualantietam.com. What
          I am finding is that whenever I think O.T. may have gotten something
          wrong, it usually ends up to be a hole in my scholarship, not his.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
            Ok. Stephen....

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 13, 2008
              Speaking of which, I will be giving an O.T. Reilly tour for the
              Sharpsburg Heritage Festival this September. Hope to see all of you
              there!

              Cheers,
              Stephen

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                It's September 13-14. There is no schedule that I know of yet, except
                my tour, which is 1pm both days, and music that also starts at 1pm.
                I'll post it when it's finished. Thanks.

                Stephen