Re: Introduction

  • corey.macleod
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
      Stephen! How are you doing pal? I intended to respond to your last
      email before now. Sam won the medal. I just happened to A) be lucky
      enough to have it passed on to me, and B) be lucky enough to work it
      out in a court settlement that I would donate the medal as part of
      the agreement. If those guys knew that I had been in contact with
      Ted and John prior to the mediation they would not be happy.

      I looked at the CD you gave me today. Very nice! I plan on calling
      you in the near future.

      Take care pal!

      > Corey,
      >
      > Great to see you here, buddy. You are way too modest. You forgot to
      > mention that, while visiting Sharpsburg, you donated Sam Wright's
      Medal
      > of Honor to the park! That is an amazing gift that is well
      appreciated.

      > I will also take umbrage to the contestation that O.T.'s guide book
      is
      > "For interesting stories and some local flavor"..." it is a
      > good book but that is about all." I'm sure that we all know better
      > what happened, having read all of the books and having taken the
      tours,
      > but since O.T. was there during the battle and hung out with the
      > veterans his whole life, I'd not be so fast to discount his
      writing.
      > And anyone who disagrees can meet me in the Cornfield at dawn to
      settle
      > it :-)
      >
      > Stephen Recker
      >

      > On Thursday, June 12, 2008, at 02:02 PM, Corey MacLeod wrote:
      >
      > > I suppose I should give a brief introduction. My name is Corey
      > > MacLeod. I
      > > live in Greer, South Carolina. I am married to a beautiful woman
      and I
      > > have
      > > two amazing children. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought for
      the
      > > 29th.
      > > Massachusetts Regiment, in Co. E. His name was Samuel Cole
      Wright. I

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
        Dear Stephen,

        It is not that I doubt what you say...but I wonder how much of
        what OT wrote in his book is accurate? For one instance, he has H
        K Douglas as a Confederate General..........

        > Great to see you here, buddy. You are way too modest. You
        > forgot to
        > mention that, while visiting Sharpsburg, you donated Sam
        > Wright's Medal
        > of Honor to the park! That is an amazing gift that is well
        > appreciated.
        >
        > I will also take umbrage to the contestation that O.T.'s guide
        > book is
        > "For interesting stories and some local flavor"..." it is a
        > good book but that is about all." I'm sure that we all know
        > better
        > what happened, having read all of the books and having taken
        > the tours,
        > but since O.T. was there during the battle and hung out with
        > the
        > veterans his whole life, I'd not be so fast to discount his
        > writing.
        > And anyone who disagrees can meet me in the Cornfield at dawn
        > to settle
        > it :-)
        >
        > Stephen Recker
        >

        > On Thursday, June 12, 2008, at 02:02 PM, Corey MacLeod wrote:
        >
        >> I suppose I should give a brief introduction. My name is Corey
        >> MacLeod. I
        >> live in Greer, South Carolina. I am married to a beautiful
        >> woman and I
        >> have
        >> two amazing children. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought
        >> for the
        >> 29th.
        >> Massachusetts Regiment, in Co. E. His name was Samuel Cole
        >> Wright. I
        >> have
        >> always had an interest in my family history but never really
        >> studied it
        >> much. After a trip to Sharpsburg back in May a fire wasn't
        >> lit, but a
        >> blazing inferno created. I have started reading Stephen Sears'
        >> "Landscape
        >> Turned Red" and have just today received a copy of O.T.
        >> Riley's book
        >> "The
        >> Battlefield of Antietam." Shelby FOote's narrative is next as
        >> soon as I
        >> finish Sears' book. It's good to be here and I hope to learn
        >> much from
        >> you.
        >>
        >> God Bless.
        >>
        >> Corey MacLeod

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
          Hey Corey,

          Looks like a reunion! Welcome aboard.

          Scott Hann

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "corey.macleod"

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
            GE,

            Respectfully...

            O.T. Reilly, writing for the Antietam Wavelet in 1888:
            Oct 20 Hon. L.E. McComas and Col. H.K. Douglas will jointly discuss the
            tariff question in Hagerstown next Tuesday.
            Oct 27 Col. H. Kyd Douglas will address the voters of this district on
            Saturday the 27th.
            Nov 3 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
            audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
            spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
            flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
            him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
            managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
            gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
            act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
            what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
            although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
            with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
            Remained in our town until Sunday noon.

            He obviously knew that HKD went by Colonel. Eighteen years later, when
            O.T. wrote his guide book, he called him "Gen.", but that could've been
            a joke/honor/typo/mistake. Who knows. But it hardly calls O.T.'s
            general veracity, so to speak, into question, IMHO.

            I'm transcribing O.T.'s articles at otreilly.virtualantietam.com. What
            I am finding is that whenever I think O.T. may have gotten something
            wrong, it usually ends up to be a hole in my scholarship, not his.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
              Ok. Stephen....

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 13, 2008
                Speaking of which, I will be giving an O.T. Reilly tour for the
                Sharpsburg Heritage Festival this September. Hope to see all of you
                there!

                Cheers,
                Stephen

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                  It's September 13-14. There is no schedule that I know of yet, except
                  my tour, which is 1pm both days, and music that also starts at 1pm.
                  I'll post it when it's finished. Thanks.

                  Stephen