Re: [TalkAntietam] Introduction

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
      Corey,

      Great to see you here, buddy. You are way too modest. You forgot to
      mention that, while visiting Sharpsburg, you donated Sam Wright's Medal
      of Honor to the park! That is an amazing gift that is well appreciated.

      I will also take umbrage to the contestation that O.T.'s guide book is
      "For interesting stories and some local flavor"..." it is a
      good book but that is about all." I'm sure that we all know better
      what happened, having read all of the books and having taken the tours,
      but since O.T. was there during the battle and hung out with the
      veterans his whole life, I'd not be so fast to discount his writing.
      And anyone who disagrees can meet me in the Cornfield at dawn to settle
      it :-)

      Stephen Recker

      On Thursday, June 12, 2008, at 02:02 PM, Corey MacLeod wrote:

      > I suppose I should give a brief introduction. My name is Corey
      > MacLeod. I
      > live in Greer, South Carolina. I am married to a beautiful woman and I
      > have
      > two amazing children. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought for the
      > 29th.
      > Massachusetts Regiment, in Co. E. His name was Samuel Cole Wright. I
      > have
      > always had an interest in my family history but never really studied it
      > much. After a trip to Sharpsburg back in May a fire wasn't lit, but a
      > blazing inferno created. I have started reading Stephen Sears'
      > "Landscape
      > Turned Red" and have just today received a copy of O.T. Riley's book
      > "The
      > Battlefield of Antietam." Shelby FOote's narrative is next as soon as I
      > finish Sears' book. It's good to be here and I hope to learn much from
      > you.
      >
      > God Bless.
      >
      > Corey MacLeod

    • corey.macleod
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
        Stephen! How are you doing pal? I intended to respond to your last
        email before now. Sam won the medal. I just happened to A) be lucky
        enough to have it passed on to me, and B) be lucky enough to work it
        out in a court settlement that I would donate the medal as part of
        the agreement. If those guys knew that I had been in contact with
        Ted and John prior to the mediation they would not be happy.

        I looked at the CD you gave me today. Very nice! I plan on calling
        you in the near future.

        Take care pal!

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
          Dear Stephen,

          It is not that I doubt what you say...but I wonder how much of
          what OT wrote in his book is accurate? For one instance, he has H
          K Douglas as a Confederate General..........

          > Great to see you here, buddy. You are way too modest. You
          > forgot to
          > mention that, while visiting Sharpsburg, you donated Sam
          > Wright's Medal
          > of Honor to the park! That is an amazing gift that is well
          > appreciated.
          >
          > I will also take umbrage to the contestation that O.T.'s guide
          > book is
          > "For interesting stories and some local flavor"..." it is a
          > good book but that is about all." I'm sure that we all know
          > better
          > what happened, having read all of the books and having taken
          > the tours,
          > but since O.T. was there during the battle and hung out with
          > the
          > veterans his whole life, I'd not be so fast to discount his
          > writing.
          > And anyone who disagrees can meet me in the Cornfield at dawn
          > to settle
          > it :-)
          >
          > Stephen Recker
          >

          > On Thursday, June 12, 2008, at 02:02 PM, Corey MacLeod wrote:
          >
          >> I suppose I should give a brief introduction. My name is Corey
          >> MacLeod. I
          >> live in Greer, South Carolina. I am married to a beautiful
          >> woman and I
          >> have
          >> two amazing children. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought
          >> for the
          >> 29th.
          >> Massachusetts Regiment, in Co. E. His name was Samuel Cole
          >> Wright. I
          >> have
          >> always had an interest in my family history but never really
          >> studied it
          >> much. After a trip to Sharpsburg back in May a fire wasn't
          >> lit, but a
          >> blazing inferno created. I have started reading Stephen Sears'
          >> "Landscape
          >> Turned Red" and have just today received a copy of O.T.
          >> Riley's book
          >> "The
          >> Battlefield of Antietam." Shelby FOote's narrative is next as
          >> soon as I
          >> finish Sears' book. It's good to be here and I hope to learn
          >> much from
          >> you.
          >>
          >> God Bless.
          >>
          >> Corey MacLeod

        • Scott Hann
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
            Hey Corey,

            Looks like a reunion! Welcome aboard.

            Scott Hann

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "corey.macleod"

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
              GE,

              Respectfully...

              O.T. Reilly, writing for the Antietam Wavelet in 1888:
              Oct 20 Hon. L.E. McComas and Col. H.K. Douglas will jointly discuss the
              tariff question in Hagerstown next Tuesday.
              Oct 27 Col. H. Kyd Douglas will address the voters of this district on
              Saturday the 27th.
              Nov 3 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
              audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
              spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
              flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
              him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
              managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
              gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
              act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
              what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
              although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
              with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
              Remained in our town until Sunday noon.

              He obviously knew that HKD went by Colonel. Eighteen years later, when
              O.T. wrote his guide book, he called him "Gen.", but that could've been
              a joke/honor/typo/mistake. Who knows. But it hardly calls O.T.'s
              general veracity, so to speak, into question, IMHO.

              I'm transcribing O.T.'s articles at otreilly.virtualantietam.com. What
              I am finding is that whenever I think O.T. may have gotten something
              wrong, it usually ends up to be a hole in my scholarship, not his.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                Ok. Stephen....

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 13, 2008
                  Speaking of which, I will be giving an O.T. Reilly tour for the
                  Sharpsburg Heritage Festival this September. Hope to see all of you
                  there!

                  Cheers,
                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                    It's September 13-14. There is no schedule that I know of yet, except
                    my tour, which is 1pm both days, and music that also starts at 1pm.
                    I'll post it when it's finished. Thanks.

                    Stephen