Re: Introduction

  • corey.macleod
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
      Reilly's book is what it is. I do not take it to be completely
      factual. I am sure that there are embellishments in there.The fact
      is, he was a good friend of my GGG Grandfather. I was lucky enough
      to meet his Great-Granddaughter when I visited Sharpsburg. That was
      quite an encounter. I had my arm around a woman who hugged a man who
      shook hands with Samuel. I will certainly check out Murfin's book.
      Sears' book was recommended to me by a few of the good folks at the
      battlefield. Thank you for the welcome Gerry.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
        Dear Corey,

        Glad to be of service. You might also want to look into Joe
        Harsh's three books....

        Confederate Tide Rising: R E Lee and the Making of Confederate
        Strategy; Taken at the Flood, and Sounding the Shallows.

        They are very excellent books for understanding the how's and
        whys of the decisions Lee took during this campaign.

        Another excellent book is the one by Kathleen Ernst about the
        affect of the War, especially this battle, on the civilians of
        Washington and Frederick Counties.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
          Corey,

          Great to see you here, buddy. You are way too modest. You forgot to
          mention that, while visiting Sharpsburg, you donated Sam Wright's Medal
          of Honor to the park! That is an amazing gift that is well appreciated.

          I will also take umbrage to the contestation that O.T.'s guide book is
          "For interesting stories and some local flavor"..." it is a
          good book but that is about all." I'm sure that we all know better
          what happened, having read all of the books and having taken the tours,
          but since O.T. was there during the battle and hung out with the
          veterans his whole life, I'd not be so fast to discount his writing.
          And anyone who disagrees can meet me in the Cornfield at dawn to settle
          it :-)

          Stephen Recker

          On Thursday, June 12, 2008, at 02:02 PM, Corey MacLeod wrote:

          > I suppose I should give a brief introduction. My name is Corey
          > MacLeod. I
          > live in Greer, South Carolina. I am married to a beautiful woman and I
          > have
          > two amazing children. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought for the
          > 29th.
          > Massachusetts Regiment, in Co. E. His name was Samuel Cole Wright. I
          > have
          > always had an interest in my family history but never really studied it
          > much. After a trip to Sharpsburg back in May a fire wasn't lit, but a
          > blazing inferno created. I have started reading Stephen Sears'
          > "Landscape
          > Turned Red" and have just today received a copy of O.T. Riley's book
          > "The
          > Battlefield of Antietam." Shelby FOote's narrative is next as soon as I
          > finish Sears' book. It's good to be here and I hope to learn much from
          > you.
          >
          > God Bless.
          >
          > Corey MacLeod

        • corey.macleod
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
            Stephen! How are you doing pal? I intended to respond to your last
            email before now. Sam won the medal. I just happened to A) be lucky
            enough to have it passed on to me, and B) be lucky enough to work it
            out in a court settlement that I would donate the medal as part of
            the agreement. If those guys knew that I had been in contact with
            Ted and John prior to the mediation they would not be happy.

            I looked at the CD you gave me today. Very nice! I plan on calling
            you in the near future.

            Take care pal!

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
              Dear Stephen,

              It is not that I doubt what you say...but I wonder how much of
              what OT wrote in his book is accurate? For one instance, he has H
              K Douglas as a Confederate General..........

              > Great to see you here, buddy. You are way too modest. You
              > forgot to
              > mention that, while visiting Sharpsburg, you donated Sam
              > Wright's Medal
              > of Honor to the park! That is an amazing gift that is well
              > appreciated.
              >
              > I will also take umbrage to the contestation that O.T.'s guide
              > book is
              > "For interesting stories and some local flavor"..." it is a
              > good book but that is about all." I'm sure that we all know
              > better
              > what happened, having read all of the books and having taken
              > the tours,
              > but since O.T. was there during the battle and hung out with
              > the
              > veterans his whole life, I'd not be so fast to discount his
              > writing.
              > And anyone who disagrees can meet me in the Cornfield at dawn
              > to settle
              > it :-)
              >
              > Stephen Recker
              >

              > On Thursday, June 12, 2008, at 02:02 PM, Corey MacLeod wrote:
              >
              >> I suppose I should give a brief introduction. My name is Corey
              >> MacLeod. I
              >> live in Greer, South Carolina. I am married to a beautiful
              >> woman and I
              >> have
              >> two amazing children. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought
              >> for the
              >> 29th.
              >> Massachusetts Regiment, in Co. E. His name was Samuel Cole
              >> Wright. I
              >> have
              >> always had an interest in my family history but never really
              >> studied it
              >> much. After a trip to Sharpsburg back in May a fire wasn't
              >> lit, but a
              >> blazing inferno created. I have started reading Stephen Sears'
              >> "Landscape
              >> Turned Red" and have just today received a copy of O.T.
              >> Riley's book
              >> "The
              >> Battlefield of Antietam." Shelby FOote's narrative is next as
              >> soon as I
              >> finish Sears' book. It's good to be here and I hope to learn
              >> much from
              >> you.
              >>
              >> God Bless.
              >>
              >> Corey MacLeod

            • Scott Hann
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                Hey Corey,

                Looks like a reunion! Welcome aboard.

                Scott Hann

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "corey.macleod"

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                  GE,

                  Respectfully...

                  O.T. Reilly, writing for the Antietam Wavelet in 1888:
                  Oct 20 Hon. L.E. McComas and Col. H.K. Douglas will jointly discuss the
                  tariff question in Hagerstown next Tuesday.
                  Oct 27 Col. H. Kyd Douglas will address the voters of this district on
                  Saturday the 27th.
                  Nov 3 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
                  audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
                  spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
                  flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
                  him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
                  managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
                  gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
                  act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
                  what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
                  although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
                  with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
                  Remained in our town until Sunday noon.

                  He obviously knew that HKD went by Colonel. Eighteen years later, when
                  O.T. wrote his guide book, he called him "Gen.", but that could've been
                  a joke/honor/typo/mistake. Who knows. But it hardly calls O.T.'s
                  general veracity, so to speak, into question, IMHO.

                  I'm transcribing O.T.'s articles at otreilly.virtualantietam.com. What
                  I am finding is that whenever I think O.T. may have gotten something
                  wrong, it usually ends up to be a hole in my scholarship, not his.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                    Ok. Stephen....

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 13, 2008
                      Speaking of which, I will be giving an O.T. Reilly tour for the
                      Sharpsburg Heritage Festival this September. Hope to see all of you
                      there!

                      Cheers,
                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                        It's September 13-14. There is no schedule that I know of yet, except
                        my tour, which is 1pm both days, and music that also starts at 1pm.
                        I'll post it when it's finished. Thanks.

                        Stephen