Re: Introduction

  • corey.macleod
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
      I suppose I should also say that Samuel fought at Antietam... I left
      that out of the previous message.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Corey MacLeod"
      <coreymacleod@...> wrote:

      > I suppose I should give a brief introduction. My name is Corey
      MacLeod. I
      > live in Greer, South Carolina. I am married to a beautiful woman
      and I have
      > two amazing children. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought for
      the 29th.
      > Massachusetts Regiment, in Co. E. His name was Samuel Cole
      Wright. I have
      > always had an interest in my family history but never really
      studied it
      > much. After a trip to Sharpsburg back in May a fire wasn't lit,
      but a
      > blazing inferno created. I have started reading Stephen
      Sears' "Landscape
      > Turned Red" and have just today received a copy of O.T. Riley's
      book "The
      > Battlefield of Antietam." Shelby FOote's narrative is next as soon
      as I
      > finish Sears' book. It's good to be here and I hope to learn much
      from you.

      > God Bless.
      >
      > Corey MacLeod

    • corey.macleod
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
        Reilly's book is what it is. I do not take it to be completely
        factual. I am sure that there are embellishments in there.The fact
        is, he was a good friend of my GGG Grandfather. I was lucky enough
        to meet his Great-Granddaughter when I visited Sharpsburg. That was
        quite an encounter. I had my arm around a woman who hugged a man who
        shook hands with Samuel. I will certainly check out Murfin's book.
        Sears' book was recommended to me by a few of the good folks at the
        battlefield. Thank you for the welcome Gerry.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
          Dear Corey,

          Glad to be of service. You might also want to look into Joe
          Harsh's three books....

          Confederate Tide Rising: R E Lee and the Making of Confederate
          Strategy; Taken at the Flood, and Sounding the Shallows.

          They are very excellent books for understanding the how's and
          whys of the decisions Lee took during this campaign.

          Another excellent book is the one by Kathleen Ernst about the
          affect of the War, especially this battle, on the civilians of
          Washington and Frederick Counties.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
            Corey,

            Great to see you here, buddy. You are way too modest. You forgot to
            mention that, while visiting Sharpsburg, you donated Sam Wright's Medal
            of Honor to the park! That is an amazing gift that is well appreciated.

            I will also take umbrage to the contestation that O.T.'s guide book is
            "For interesting stories and some local flavor"..." it is a
            good book but that is about all." I'm sure that we all know better
            what happened, having read all of the books and having taken the tours,
            but since O.T. was there during the battle and hung out with the
            veterans his whole life, I'd not be so fast to discount his writing.
            And anyone who disagrees can meet me in the Cornfield at dawn to settle
            it :-)

            Stephen Recker

            On Thursday, June 12, 2008, at 02:02 PM, Corey MacLeod wrote:

            > I suppose I should give a brief introduction. My name is Corey
            > MacLeod. I
            > live in Greer, South Carolina. I am married to a beautiful woman and I
            > have
            > two amazing children. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought for the
            > 29th.
            > Massachusetts Regiment, in Co. E. His name was Samuel Cole Wright. I
            > have
            > always had an interest in my family history but never really studied it
            > much. After a trip to Sharpsburg back in May a fire wasn't lit, but a
            > blazing inferno created. I have started reading Stephen Sears'
            > "Landscape
            > Turned Red" and have just today received a copy of O.T. Riley's book
            > "The
            > Battlefield of Antietam." Shelby FOote's narrative is next as soon as I
            > finish Sears' book. It's good to be here and I hope to learn much from
            > you.
            >
            > God Bless.
            >
            > Corey MacLeod

          • corey.macleod
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
              Stephen! How are you doing pal? I intended to respond to your last
              email before now. Sam won the medal. I just happened to A) be lucky
              enough to have it passed on to me, and B) be lucky enough to work it
              out in a court settlement that I would donate the medal as part of
              the agreement. If those guys knew that I had been in contact with
              Ted and John prior to the mediation they would not be happy.

              I looked at the CD you gave me today. Very nice! I plan on calling
              you in the near future.

              Take care pal!

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                Dear Stephen,

                It is not that I doubt what you say...but I wonder how much of
                what OT wrote in his book is accurate? For one instance, he has H
                K Douglas as a Confederate General..........

                > Great to see you here, buddy. You are way too modest. You
                > forgot to
                > mention that, while visiting Sharpsburg, you donated Sam
                > Wright's Medal
                > of Honor to the park! That is an amazing gift that is well
                > appreciated.
                >
                > I will also take umbrage to the contestation that O.T.'s guide
                > book is
                > "For interesting stories and some local flavor"..." it is a
                > good book but that is about all." I'm sure that we all know
                > better
                > what happened, having read all of the books and having taken
                > the tours,
                > but since O.T. was there during the battle and hung out with
                > the
                > veterans his whole life, I'd not be so fast to discount his
                > writing.
                > And anyone who disagrees can meet me in the Cornfield at dawn
                > to settle
                > it :-)
                >
                > Stephen Recker
                >

                > On Thursday, June 12, 2008, at 02:02 PM, Corey MacLeod wrote:
                >
                >> I suppose I should give a brief introduction. My name is Corey
                >> MacLeod. I
                >> live in Greer, South Carolina. I am married to a beautiful
                >> woman and I
                >> have
                >> two amazing children. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought
                >> for the
                >> 29th.
                >> Massachusetts Regiment, in Co. E. His name was Samuel Cole
                >> Wright. I
                >> have
                >> always had an interest in my family history but never really
                >> studied it
                >> much. After a trip to Sharpsburg back in May a fire wasn't
                >> lit, but a
                >> blazing inferno created. I have started reading Stephen Sears'
                >> "Landscape
                >> Turned Red" and have just today received a copy of O.T.
                >> Riley's book
                >> "The
                >> Battlefield of Antietam." Shelby FOote's narrative is next as
                >> soon as I
                >> finish Sears' book. It's good to be here and I hope to learn
                >> much from
                >> you.
                >>
                >> God Bless.
                >>
                >> Corey MacLeod

              • Scott Hann
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                  Hey Corey,

                  Looks like a reunion! Welcome aboard.

                  Scott Hann

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                    GE,

                    Respectfully...

                    O.T. Reilly, writing for the Antietam Wavelet in 1888:
                    Oct 20 Hon. L.E. McComas and Col. H.K. Douglas will jointly discuss the
                    tariff question in Hagerstown next Tuesday.
                    Oct 27 Col. H. Kyd Douglas will address the voters of this district on
                    Saturday the 27th.
                    Nov 3 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
                    audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
                    spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
                    flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
                    him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
                    managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
                    gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
                    act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
                    what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
                    although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
                    with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
                    Remained in our town until Sunday noon.

                    He obviously knew that HKD went by Colonel. Eighteen years later, when
                    O.T. wrote his guide book, he called him "Gen.", but that could've been
                    a joke/honor/typo/mistake. Who knows. But it hardly calls O.T.'s
                    general veracity, so to speak, into question, IMHO.

                    I'm transcribing O.T.'s articles at otreilly.virtualantietam.com. What
                    I am finding is that whenever I think O.T. may have gotten something
                    wrong, it usually ends up to be a hole in my scholarship, not his.

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                      Ok. Stephen....

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 13, 2008
                        Speaking of which, I will be giving an O.T. Reilly tour for the
                        Sharpsburg Heritage Festival this September. Hope to see all of you
                        there!

                        Cheers,
                        Stephen

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                          It's September 13-14. There is no schedule that I know of yet, except
                          my tour, which is 1pm both days, and music that also starts at 1pm.
                          I'll post it when it's finished. Thanks.

                          Stephen