Re: [TalkAntietam] Introduction

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
      Welcome aboard Corey! You have been doing some good reading,
      however, beware of what O T Reilly says in his book as totally
      factual. For interesting stories and some local flavor it is a
      good book but that is about all.

      James Murfin's book "A Gleam of Bayonets" is a better book than
      Sears' "Landscape Turned Red". Murfin intimately knew the
      Antietam battlefield while Sears never once set foot on the
      terrain while writing his book.

      As a person who has been to Antietam NBP many times, it is
      amazing how many stories the field still tells........

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
        I suppose I should also say that Samuel fought at Antietam... I left
        that out of the previous message.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Corey MacLeod"
        <coreymacleod@...> wrote:

        > I suppose I should give a brief introduction. My name is Corey
        MacLeod. I
        > live in Greer, South Carolina. I am married to a beautiful woman
        and I have
        > two amazing children. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought for
        the 29th.
        > Massachusetts Regiment, in Co. E. His name was Samuel Cole
        Wright. I have
        > always had an interest in my family history but never really
        studied it
        > much. After a trip to Sharpsburg back in May a fire wasn't lit,
        but a
        > blazing inferno created. I have started reading Stephen
        Sears' "Landscape
        > Turned Red" and have just today received a copy of O.T. Riley's
        book "The
        > Battlefield of Antietam." Shelby FOote's narrative is next as soon
        as I
        > finish Sears' book. It's good to be here and I hope to learn much
        from you.

        > God Bless.
        >
        > Corey MacLeod

      • corey.macleod
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
          Reilly's book is what it is. I do not take it to be completely
          factual. I am sure that there are embellishments in there.The fact
          is, he was a good friend of my GGG Grandfather. I was lucky enough
          to meet his Great-Granddaughter when I visited Sharpsburg. That was
          quite an encounter. I had my arm around a woman who hugged a man who
          shook hands with Samuel. I will certainly check out Murfin's book.
          Sears' book was recommended to me by a few of the good folks at the
          battlefield. Thank you for the welcome Gerry.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
            Dear Corey,

            Glad to be of service. You might also want to look into Joe
            Harsh's three books....

            Confederate Tide Rising: R E Lee and the Making of Confederate
            Strategy; Taken at the Flood, and Sounding the Shallows.

            They are very excellent books for understanding the how's and
            whys of the decisions Lee took during this campaign.

            Another excellent book is the one by Kathleen Ernst about the
            affect of the War, especially this battle, on the civilians of
            Washington and Frederick Counties.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
              Corey,

              Great to see you here, buddy. You are way too modest. You forgot to
              mention that, while visiting Sharpsburg, you donated Sam Wright's Medal
              of Honor to the park! That is an amazing gift that is well appreciated.

              I will also take umbrage to the contestation that O.T.'s guide book is
              "For interesting stories and some local flavor"..." it is a
              good book but that is about all." I'm sure that we all know better
              what happened, having read all of the books and having taken the tours,
              but since O.T. was there during the battle and hung out with the
              veterans his whole life, I'd not be so fast to discount his writing.
              And anyone who disagrees can meet me in the Cornfield at dawn to settle
              it :-)

              Stephen Recker

              On Thursday, June 12, 2008, at 02:02 PM, Corey MacLeod wrote:

              > I suppose I should give a brief introduction. My name is Corey
              > MacLeod. I
              > live in Greer, South Carolina. I am married to a beautiful woman and I
              > have
              > two amazing children. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought for the
              > 29th.
              > Massachusetts Regiment, in Co. E. His name was Samuel Cole Wright. I
              > have
              > always had an interest in my family history but never really studied it
              > much. After a trip to Sharpsburg back in May a fire wasn't lit, but a
              > blazing inferno created. I have started reading Stephen Sears'
              > "Landscape
              > Turned Red" and have just today received a copy of O.T. Riley's book
              > "The
              > Battlefield of Antietam." Shelby FOote's narrative is next as soon as I
              > finish Sears' book. It's good to be here and I hope to learn much from
              > you.
              >
              > God Bless.
              >
              > Corey MacLeod

            • corey.macleod
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                Stephen! How are you doing pal? I intended to respond to your last
                email before now. Sam won the medal. I just happened to A) be lucky
                enough to have it passed on to me, and B) be lucky enough to work it
                out in a court settlement that I would donate the medal as part of
                the agreement. If those guys knew that I had been in contact with
                Ted and John prior to the mediation they would not be happy.

                I looked at the CD you gave me today. Very nice! I plan on calling
                you in the near future.

                Take care pal!

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                  Dear Stephen,

                  It is not that I doubt what you say...but I wonder how much of
                  what OT wrote in his book is accurate? For one instance, he has H
                  K Douglas as a Confederate General..........

                  > Great to see you here, buddy. You are way too modest. You
                  > forgot to
                  > mention that, while visiting Sharpsburg, you donated Sam
                  > Wright's Medal
                  > of Honor to the park! That is an amazing gift that is well
                  > appreciated.
                  >
                  > I will also take umbrage to the contestation that O.T.'s guide
                  > book is
                  > "For interesting stories and some local flavor"..." it is a
                  > good book but that is about all." I'm sure that we all know
                  > better
                  > what happened, having read all of the books and having taken
                  > the tours,
                  > but since O.T. was there during the battle and hung out with
                  > the
                  > veterans his whole life, I'd not be so fast to discount his
                  > writing.
                  > And anyone who disagrees can meet me in the Cornfield at dawn
                  > to settle
                  > it :-)
                  >
                  > Stephen Recker
                  >

                  > On Thursday, June 12, 2008, at 02:02 PM, Corey MacLeod wrote:
                  >
                  >> I suppose I should give a brief introduction. My name is Corey
                  >> MacLeod. I
                  >> live in Greer, South Carolina. I am married to a beautiful
                  >> woman and I
                  >> have
                  >> two amazing children. My Great-Great-Great Grandfather fought
                  >> for the
                  >> 29th.
                  >> Massachusetts Regiment, in Co. E. His name was Samuel Cole
                  >> Wright. I
                  >> have
                  >> always had an interest in my family history but never really
                  >> studied it
                  >> much. After a trip to Sharpsburg back in May a fire wasn't
                  >> lit, but a
                  >> blazing inferno created. I have started reading Stephen Sears'
                  >> "Landscape
                  >> Turned Red" and have just today received a copy of O.T.
                  >> Riley's book
                  >> "The
                  >> Battlefield of Antietam." Shelby FOote's narrative is next as
                  >> soon as I
                  >> finish Sears' book. It's good to be here and I hope to learn
                  >> much from
                  >> you.
                  >>
                  >> God Bless.
                  >>
                  >> Corey MacLeod

                • Scott Hann
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                    Hey Corey,

                    Looks like a reunion! Welcome aboard.

                    Scott Hann

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                      GE,

                      Respectfully...

                      O.T. Reilly, writing for the Antietam Wavelet in 1888:
                      Oct 20 Hon. L.E. McComas and Col. H.K. Douglas will jointly discuss the
                      tariff question in Hagerstown next Tuesday.
                      Oct 27 Col. H. Kyd Douglas will address the voters of this district on
                      Saturday the 27th.
                      Nov 3 Messrs. H. Kyd Douglas and Charles Little addressed a large
                      audience in the town hall on Saturday evening, Oct. 27. Mr. Douglas
                      spoke about an hour. He was presented with some beautiful bouquets of
                      flowers by the ladies, who seemed to be very much pleased with
                      him.---He is a bachelor. After tendering his thanks to the gentlemen
                      managers of the stage, and expressing his appreciation for the ladies’
                      gifts, he started for the train. But part of the conveyance refused to
                      act; so the Col. did not get to the train that night. We don’t know
                      what was the cause of this accident. I don’t think it was the weight,
                      although it might have been the case. He did not have his coffee pots
                      with him we are positive, so you can’t blame it on them. The Col.
                      Remained in our town until Sunday noon.

                      He obviously knew that HKD went by Colonel. Eighteen years later, when
                      O.T. wrote his guide book, he called him "Gen.", but that could've been
                      a joke/honor/typo/mistake. Who knows. But it hardly calls O.T.'s
                      general veracity, so to speak, into question, IMHO.

                      I'm transcribing O.T.'s articles at otreilly.virtualantietam.com. What
                      I am finding is that whenever I think O.T. may have gotten something
                      wrong, it usually ends up to be a hole in my scholarship, not his.

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 12, 2008
                        Ok. Stephen....

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 13, 2008
                          Speaking of which, I will be giving an O.T. Reilly tour for the
                          Sharpsburg Heritage Festival this September. Hope to see all of you
                          there!

                          Cheers,
                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                            It's September 13-14. There is no schedule that I know of yet, except
                            my tour, which is 1pm both days, and music that also starts at 1pm.
                            I'll post it when it's finished. Thanks.

                            Stephen