Fire on the Mountain

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2008
      I just posted a few pictures to my blog at
      http://cwbattlefields.blogspot.com from the Fire on the Mountain event
      held at Fox's Gap last weekend. The rebels had four Napoleons deployed
      where Bondurant's battery fought at the gap, and a Federal section
      deployed about 600 yards away for simulated counterbattery fire.

      I'll try to post a few more within the next day or so. Being a little
      absent-minded, I did not ask what groups of reenactors participated in
      the event - does anyone know?

      My wife even enjoyed the event. At one point, a gunnery sergeant
      cussed his crew for cutting the fuse to the wrong range. We both
      thought this was funny. The reenactors did a great job, and I think
      perhaps 30-40 spectators braved the heat to attend. Not bad for a
      remote site.

      We noticed a few trees down in this area as well. Sorry to hear about
      the damage in and around Sharpsburg, but happy to hear no one was
      injured.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 10, 2008
        Steve,
        The fellow working the Confederate guns were an amalgamum of the Baltimore Light Artillery, Fredericksburg Artillery, Liberty Rifles, South Mt. Park volunteers and a few independent fellows. The two Union guns were from 1st PA Lt. Art, Batteries C & F. Depending on which day you were there, I was working on the very left gun of the Confederate battery. Had an emergency Sunday and could not get there. Lordy it was hot.

      • RoteBaron@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 10, 2008
          For fans of South Mountain, the NPS has announced...

          From Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend 2008, there will be a guided van tour of South Mountain. The tour will meet at the Antietam Battlefield Visitor Center and park staff will drive participants to the three battle gaps. The tours will leave at 10:00 a.m. and return to Antietam two hours later on Saturdays and Sundays

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 11, 2008
            Steve,

            Thanks for the pictures. We did not attend mainly due to the heat.
            Tom and the reenactors must have suffered in their woolen uniforms!

            Larry F.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 11, 2008
              Larry,

              That same day, I was in a Civil War wedding and I suffered in the
              heat!

              Thanks for the pictures. We did not attend mainly due to the
              heat.
              Tom and the reenactors must have suffered in their woolen
              uniforms!

              Larry F.

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <myness@...> wrote:

              > I just posted a few pictures to my blog at
              > http://cwbattlefields.blogspot.com from the Fire on the
              > Mountain
              event
              > held at Fox's Gap last weekend. The rebels had four Napoleons
              deployed
              > where Bondurant's battery fought at the gap, and a Federal
              > section
              > deployed about 600 yards away for simulated counterbattery
              > fire.
              >
              > I'll try to post a few more within the next day or so. Being a
              little
              > absent-minded, I did not ask what groups of reenactors
              > participated
              in

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 11, 2008
                When we had our CW wedding in the Dahlgren Chapel in October a few
                years ago it was delightful; I can't imagine wearing that clothing in
                95+ degrees.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 11, 2008
                  Larry;

                  My wife and I renewed our vows as a CW wedding locally.... It was
                  tough but we managed....