Re: Bad Weather on Wed. June 4

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008

      Good news that you and your family came through unhurt except for
      your son's scare! I hope your property damage was not too severe. The
      feeling of helplessness in the face of the forces of nature is a
      scary time. Here, we had a tornado warning but nothing much happened--
      no damage at all but I remember looking around at my library thinking
      what books I would take to the basement. Thank goodness you had a
      basement rather than a slab had the worst happened.

      > Larry,
      > The battlefield lost several trees but no major damage to
      structures. Manny gentile's blog may have something about it. My
      son is working for Cultural resources this summer and stayed late
      yesterday, came home soaked and shaken from a near-miss with a
      falling tree.
      > Keedysville really got knocked, many trees down, roads closed,
      power out, etc. We lost power at 3, got it back around 8:30 last
      night. We lost two trees and heavy damage from another, a large limb
      through the roof of our garage. In my 30 years in this county, I
      have never seen a storm like that. Wow. I was standing on our back
      porch when the wind took the top out of a large maple tree nearby.
      We beat a hasty retreat to the basement. No personal injuries, and a
      day in the back yard with a chain saw has gotten us nearly back to
      normal.

      > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

      > I hope all our friends in the Sharpsburg/Keedysville, Boonsboro
      areas
      > are OK and that the damage on the battlefield isn't too bad. I just
      > read that Washington County declared a disaster due to the
      > storm/tornado in the southern part.
      >
      > Larry F.

    • RoteBaron
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
        NPS has posted storm info and photos online at:
        http://www.nps.gov/anti/parknews/storm-tears-through-antietam-battlefield.htm