Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Little Known Places at Antietam

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
      It is west of the Rt. 65 bypass. Just north of the West Woods you'll see a
      farm with a large white house and a barn behind it. The cleared ridge behind
      the barn is Nicodemus Hts.

      kamills wrote:

      > Since we are talking about landscapes, where exactly is Nicodemous
      > Heights? I have been to Antietam many times, but still have a
      > hard time with this location.
      >
      > Thank you
      > Andy

      > Tony,
      > Basically it is the knoll in Mt. View Cemetery across from the
      > National Cemetery. Joe Harsh and I scouted this a few years back.
      > Second alternative is the ridge just toteh north, but I think the
      > cemetery is correct. Surprisingly good view from there.

    • kamills
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
        Tom

        Thank you. I appreciate the help. Is this part of the
        battlefield, that you can tour, or is it privately owned? How
        important was this position as an artillery placement? I have
        heard both that is significantly helped the 1st phase to it was
        about worthless.

        Thank you
        Andy

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
          Andy,
          It is within the boundary, under scenic easement and cannot be developed, but
          privately owned. It is off-limits w/o permission of the owners, and they are
          quirky. The last time I went up there I called the son, who was very
          accommodating, but when I got there the old man gave all kinds of grief.
          Luckily I was touring a group of Marines, who didn't intimidate very easily.
          It is a nice view from there, but Pelham was gone from there by 6:30 am. Joe
          Harsh downplays its importance, and makes a good case, but I think it still
          held strong strategic value. The high ground behind J. Poffenberger's house
          is higher, and commands the ridge, but if the Federals had acquired it then
          it might have been a very different story.
          Tom

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
            Tom;

            Would this have been before Anderson's Brigade moved from
            somewhat near the present cemetery up through the Piper Swale to
            the Sunken Road?

            That would be the only way I could see some NC boys being killed
            by the same shell...unless it was NC boys in units other than
            those belonging to Anderson.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

            Edward Lee

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
              See http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/tour/n_woods/niclos.html for a map
              that shows the region around Nicodemous heights; actually, it shows what
              you should be able to see from there.

              Regards,
              TR Livesey
              tlivesey@...

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                I don't remember off-hand, but I think it is Joe's book, maybe STS, not TAF.

              • Bill or Glenna Jo Christen
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                  suggestions...

                  The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
                  positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.

                  Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?

                  Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

                  Bill Christen
                • TR Livesey
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                    Here are a few suggestions I would add...

                    The southeast corner of Otto's 40 acre cornfield. Nifty place if you know where to cut
                    through the brambles. You can see where the 4th RI made its 'stand'.

                    The extreme right flank of the Federal line, near the Nicodemus house. We've all
                    been there, but if you are not whizzing by at 50 m.p.h on the bypass, there is
                    some very interesting terrain, particularly where a gully opens up to
                    the east, used by Gibbon's (and others troops) to move east/west.

                    The Reel farm. There is the well known photograph of the burned out Reel
                    farm, but few actually visit the spot.

                    The bluffs on the south side of the Boonsboro turnpike, looking down on
                    the Newcomer farm, where Pleasonton's calvary fanned out. The area is
                    readily accessible, but rarely visited.

                    The Sharpsburg ridge. Such a big feature, it is hard to recognize up close,
                    but if you trace it from the Middlekauf farm southward to the visitor's center,
                    and then westward where it runs off the battlefield, you can see how the battle
                    pivoted along the crest line.

                    The west slope of the Porterstown ridge, between the lower and middle bridges,
                    alone the line of Federal Artillery. Great view looking westward over the
                    battlefield.

                    The peak of the hill where the Antietam bends, held by the 50th GA (not the
                    Georgian overlook). Very wooded today, was wooded then too.

                    All locations described above are in the park, and no trespassing is required.

                    Regards,
                    TR Livesey
                    tlivesey@...
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                      Bill;

                      Those are good questions. However, the camps of all the troops of
                      the Ninth Corps might have been on the ridges back beyond the
                      Lower Bridge on the farm now presently used by groups as a group
                      campsite and certainly spread out in that general area. This is
                      my opinion but have nothing solid on this.

                      As to Jackson's HQ the morning of the battle, everything I have
                      read seems to indicate a very flexible "HQ" centered around the
                      West Woods area.

                      As to Holmes, I wonder if the monument to the Philadelphia
                      Brigade accurately positions the middle of the brigade's lines at
                      the time of their halt in the West Woods. To accurately pinpoint
                      Holmes's location in the battle line might require a knowledge of
                      where both his regiment and his company were situated. Wonder if
                      Holmes himself ever left any writings about where he was at the
                      time he was shot in the neck?

                      Your humble servant,
                      Gerry Mayers
                      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                      http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

                      Edward Lee

                      > The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the
                      battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
                      > positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.
                      >
                      > Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?
                      >
                      > Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when
                      he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

                      > Bill Christen

                      Service.