Bad Weather on Wed. June 4

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5 4:33 PM
      Tom and others: Glad that all are well and not too much damage. I was talking with a friend in Va last night and their area had gotten the storm first and it was hitting up here in Philly as we were speaking. We got a lot of rain(my sump pumps were running all night, but nothing as bad as they were warning us of all day.)

      Paula

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5 6:10 PM

        Good news that you and your family came through unhurt except for
        your son's scare! I hope your property damage was not too severe. The
        feeling of helplessness in the face of the forces of nature is a
        scary time. Here, we had a tornado warning but nothing much happened--
        no damage at all but I remember looking around at my library thinking
        what books I would take to the basement. Thank goodness you had a
        basement rather than a slab had the worst happened.

        > Larry,
        > The battlefield lost several trees but no major damage to
        structures. Manny gentile's blog may have something about it. My
        son is working for Cultural resources this summer and stayed late
        yesterday, came home soaked and shaken from a near-miss with a
        falling tree.
        > Keedysville really got knocked, many trees down, roads closed,
        power out, etc. We lost power at 3, got it back around 8:30 last
        night. We lost two trees and heavy damage from another, a large limb
        through the roof of our garage. In my 30 years in this county, I
        have never seen a storm like that. Wow. I was standing on our back
        porch when the wind took the top out of a large maple tree nearby.
        We beat a hasty retreat to the basement. No personal injuries, and a
        day in the back yard with a chain saw has gotten us nearly back to
        normal.

        > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

        > I hope all our friends in the Sharpsburg/Keedysville, Boonsboro
        areas
        > are OK and that the damage on the battlefield isn't too bad. I just
        > read that Washington County declared a disaster due to the
        > storm/tornado in the southern part.
        >
        > Larry F.

      • RoteBaron
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5 7:25 PM
          NPS has posted storm info and photos online at:
          http://www.nps.gov/anti/parknews/storm-tears-through-antietam-battlefield.htm