Bad Weather on Wed. June 4

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
      I hope all our friends in the Sharpsburg/Keedysville, Boonsboro areas
      are OK and that the damage on the battlefield isn't too bad. I just
      read that Washington County declared a disaster due to the
      storm/tornado in the southern part.

      Larry F.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
        Larry,
        The battlefield lost several trees but no major damage to structures. Manny gentile's blog may have something about it. My son is working for Cultural resources this summer and stayed late yesterday, came home soaked and shaken from a near-miss with a falling tree.
        Keedysville really got knocked, many trees down, roads closed, power out, etc. We lost power at 3, got it back around 8:30 last night. We lost two trees and heavy damage from another, a large limb through the roof of our garage. In my 30 years in this county, I have never seen a storm like that. Wow. I was standing on our back porch when the wind took the top out of a large maple tree nearby. We beat a hasty retreat to the basement. No personal injuries, and a day in the back yard with a chain saw has gotten us nearly back to normal.

        >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 06/05/08 3:42 PM >>>
        I hope all our friends in the Sharpsburg/Keedysville, Boonsboro areas
        are OK and that the damage on the battlefield isn't too bad. I just
        read that Washington County declared a disaster due to the
        storm/tornado in the southern part.

        Larry F.
      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
          Tom Clemens wrote:

          <Snip>

          No personal injuries, and a day in the back yard with a chain saw has
          gotten us nearly back to normal.

          Tom,

          I am so glad to hear that your family is safe.

          Regards,
          Teej

        • 128thpa@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
            Tom and others: Glad that all are well and not too much damage. I was talking with a friend in Va last night and their area had gotten the storm first and it was hitting up here in Philly as we were speaking. We got a lot of rain(my sump pumps were running all night, but nothing as bad as they were warning us of all day.)

            Paula

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008

              Good news that you and your family came through unhurt except for
              your son's scare! I hope your property damage was not too severe. The
              feeling of helplessness in the face of the forces of nature is a
              scary time. Here, we had a tornado warning but nothing much happened--
              no damage at all but I remember looking around at my library thinking
              what books I would take to the basement. Thank goodness you had a
              basement rather than a slab had the worst happened.

              > Larry,
              > The battlefield lost several trees but no major damage to
              structures. Manny gentile's blog may have something about it. My
              son is working for Cultural resources this summer and stayed late
              yesterday, came home soaked and shaken from a near-miss with a
              falling tree.
              > Keedysville really got knocked, many trees down, roads closed,
              power out, etc. We lost power at 3, got it back around 8:30 last
              night. We lost two trees and heavy damage from another, a large limb
              through the roof of our garage. In my 30 years in this county, I
              have never seen a storm like that. Wow. I was standing on our back
              porch when the wind took the top out of a large maple tree nearby.
              We beat a hasty retreat to the basement. No personal injuries, and a
              day in the back yard with a chain saw has gotten us nearly back to
              normal.

              > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

              > I hope all our friends in the Sharpsburg/Keedysville, Boonsboro
              areas
              > are OK and that the damage on the battlefield isn't too bad. I just
              > read that Washington County declared a disaster due to the
              > storm/tornado in the southern part.
              >
              > Larry F.

            • RoteBaron
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
                NPS has posted storm info and photos online at:
                http://www.nps.gov/anti/parknews/storm-tears-through-antietam-battlefield.htm