Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Kentucky Rfiles used in the battle of Sharpsburg

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3 11:06 AM
      Scott,

      I have never heard of a Country Rifle.............. Ok on the
      Rohrbach barns.

      You can ask the rangers at Antietam NPS via email about the barns
      etc.... Brian Baracz is a good one to contact there.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4 12:11 PM
        Dear Gerry,

        Without looking too hard I found the following tidbit about "country
        rifles" in the July 16, 1861 issue of the Richmond Daily Dispatch:
        "The country rifle, also, may often be obtained in sufficient numbers
        to equip a company or two in a county. The use of the Minnie instead
        of the round ball in these, makes them fully as destructive as the
        famed Enfield rifle."

        I'll drop Brian an email about the Rohrbach Barns. Thanks for the
        suggestion.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4 12:15 PM
          Dear Scott,

          You might want to also ask Brian about the "country rifles"
          connection, if there is one. It sounds, though, as if the
          "country rifle" was used more for Home Guards or local militia
          than for regular forces.