Re: [TalkAntietam] Little Known Places at Antietam

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
      Tom Shay,
      We're pretty close. Why we chose the closer location was:
      1. Lee was on the hill all day and I don't think he traveled very far up the
      ridge.
      2. The full account mentions the shell continued down the hill and struck in the
      ranks of NC regiment and killed a few men. The regiment was described as resting
      on the outskirts of the town. So if you go too far up the ridge the trajectoy
      from Weed's guns on the Ecker farm takes you awy from town not towards it.
      3. Another source said about 75 yards north of the turnpike.

      This is all from memory, so be generous with you criticism.
      Tom
      rotbaron@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 01/18/2002 0:49:53 AM EST, clemens@... writes:
      > << Basically it is the knoll in Mt. View Cemetery across from the National
      > Cemetery. Joe Harsh and I scouted this a few years back. Second alternative
      > is the ridge just to the north, but I think the cemetery is correct.
      > Surprisingly good view from there. >>
      >
      > Scouting the battlefield with Joe Harsh......ah, to dream!
      >
      > During anniversary tours a few months ago, I attended Keith Snyder's tour of
      > the middle of the Rebel line. We met at parking lot on Boonsboro Pike across
      > from cemetery and headed east/northeast. As we reached the crest of
      > ridgeline, I asked Keith where he thinks the incident (Hill's horse being hit
      > by shell) occurred. He felt it was likely in this area. So we certainly have
      > at least two options to choose from!
      >
      > Tom Shay

    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
        It is west of the Rt. 65 bypass. Just north of the West Woods you'll see a
        farm with a large white house and a barn behind it. The cleared ridge behind
        the barn is Nicodemus Hts.

        kamills wrote:

        > Since we are talking about landscapes, where exactly is Nicodemous
        > Heights? I have been to Antietam many times, but still have a
        > hard time with this location.
        >
        > Thank you
        > Andy

        > Tony,
        > Basically it is the knoll in Mt. View Cemetery across from the
        > National Cemetery. Joe Harsh and I scouted this a few years back.
        > Second alternative is the ridge just toteh north, but I think the
        > cemetery is correct. Surprisingly good view from there.

      • kamills
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
          Tom

          Thank you. I appreciate the help. Is this part of the
          battlefield, that you can tour, or is it privately owned? How
          important was this position as an artillery placement? I have
          heard both that is significantly helped the 1st phase to it was
          about worthless.

          Thank you
          Andy

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
            Andy,
            It is within the boundary, under scenic easement and cannot be developed, but
            privately owned. It is off-limits w/o permission of the owners, and they are
            quirky. The last time I went up there I called the son, who was very
            accommodating, but when I got there the old man gave all kinds of grief.
            Luckily I was touring a group of Marines, who didn't intimidate very easily.
            It is a nice view from there, but Pelham was gone from there by 6:30 am. Joe
            Harsh downplays its importance, and makes a good case, but I think it still
            held strong strategic value. The high ground behind J. Poffenberger's house
            is higher, and commands the ridge, but if the Federals had acquired it then
            it might have been a very different story.
            Tom

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
              Tom;

              Would this have been before Anderson's Brigade moved from
              somewhat near the present cemetery up through the Piper Swale to
              the Sunken Road?

              That would be the only way I could see some NC boys being killed
              by the same shell...unless it was NC boys in units other than
              those belonging to Anderson.

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

              http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

              Edward Lee

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Service.

            • TR Livesey
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                See http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/tour/n_woods/niclos.html for a map
                that shows the region around Nicodemous heights; actually, it shows what
                you should be able to see from there.

                Regards,
                TR Livesey
                tlivesey@...

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                  I don't remember off-hand, but I think it is Joe's book, maybe STS, not TAF.

                • Bill or Glenna Jo Christen
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                    suggestions...

                    The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
                    positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.

                    Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?

                    Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

                    Bill Christen
                  • TR Livesey
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                      Here are a few suggestions I would add...

                      The southeast corner of Otto's 40 acre cornfield. Nifty place if you know where to cut
                      through the brambles. You can see where the 4th RI made its 'stand'.

                      The extreme right flank of the Federal line, near the Nicodemus house. We've all
                      been there, but if you are not whizzing by at 50 m.p.h on the bypass, there is
                      some very interesting terrain, particularly where a gully opens up to
                      the east, used by Gibbon's (and others troops) to move east/west.

                      The Reel farm. There is the well known photograph of the burned out Reel
                      farm, but few actually visit the spot.

                      The bluffs on the south side of the Boonsboro turnpike, looking down on
                      the Newcomer farm, where Pleasonton's calvary fanned out. The area is
                      readily accessible, but rarely visited.

                      The Sharpsburg ridge. Such a big feature, it is hard to recognize up close,
                      but if you trace it from the Middlekauf farm southward to the visitor's center,
                      and then westward where it runs off the battlefield, you can see how the battle
                      pivoted along the crest line.

                      The west slope of the Porterstown ridge, between the lower and middle bridges,
                      alone the line of Federal Artillery. Great view looking westward over the
                      battlefield.

                      The peak of the hill where the Antietam bends, held by the 50th GA (not the
                      Georgian overlook). Very wooded today, was wooded then too.

                      All locations described above are in the park, and no trespassing is required.

                      Regards,
                      TR Livesey
                      tlivesey@...
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                        Bill;

                        Those are good questions. However, the camps of all the troops of
                        the Ninth Corps might have been on the ridges back beyond the
                        Lower Bridge on the farm now presently used by groups as a group
                        campsite and certainly spread out in that general area. This is
                        my opinion but have nothing solid on this.

                        As to Jackson's HQ the morning of the battle, everything I have
                        read seems to indicate a very flexible "HQ" centered around the
                        West Woods area.

                        As to Holmes, I wonder if the monument to the Philadelphia
                        Brigade accurately positions the middle of the brigade's lines at
                        the time of their halt in the West Woods. To accurately pinpoint
                        Holmes's location in the battle line might require a knowledge of
                        where both his regiment and his company were situated. Wonder if
                        Holmes himself ever left any writings about where he was at the
                        time he was shot in the neck?

                        Your humble servant,
                        Gerry Mayers
                        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                        http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

                        Edward Lee

                        > The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the
                        battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
                        > positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.
                        >
                        > Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?
                        >
                        > Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when
                        he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

                        > Bill Christen

                        Service.