Re: Kentucky Rfiles used in the battle of Sharpsburg

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
      Dear Gerry,

      There's a woodcut in August 17, 1861 issue of Harper's Weekly
      depicting Confederate uniforms, one of which is for the Kentucky Rifle
      Brigade. It's unclear if they were armed with Kentucky Rifles, or
      were just a brigade from Kentucky armed with rifled muskets. In
      either case, to the best of my knowledge, there was not a brigade at
      Antietam that was armed exclusively with outdated Kentucky Rifles.
      However, could this longarm have seen use at Antietam?

      I've been corresponding with a 2nd Georgia historian who's heard
      rumors of their use at Sharpsburg, however we're looking for
      definitive proof that at least one solider is documented to have used
      one at Antietam.

      We know for a fact that the Irish Brigade was issued Model 1842
      .69-caliber smoothbore muskets. In my own collection I have an
      English Mortimer shotgun found in the Rohrbach Barn after the battle
      (probably left by a wounded soldier), and a bayonet adapted for use on
      a shotgun documented to have been found on the battlefield.

      So, with a overall range of 700-800 yards, and the ability to kill a
      man at 250 yards, it's at least plausible that the Kentucky Rifle,
      with its' superior accuracy over the above mentioned arms, could have
      seen use at Antietam.

      Scott
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
        Dear Scott,

        Thanks.

        Use of smoothbore weapons...like the M1842 Springfield...is well
        documented for both sides at Antietam. However, the Harpers
        Weekly issue might be talking about Kentucky troops in the
        Western theater.

        To my knowledge I have never heard of any KY rifle use at
        Sharpsburg during the battle but maybe Tom Clemens knows. As to
        the shotgun...that would be a most unusual weapon for an
        infantryman to carry... I would understand cavalry, especially
        Confederate cavalry.

        Rhorbach Barn...question then becomes which Rohrbach farm?

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
          Dear Gerry,

          Perhaps I'm using the wrong nomenclature. I've seen references to
          "Country Rifles", and the fact that they fired a "picket bullet", but,
          as yet, have never seen a photograph of such weapon. Could it be the
          readily available Kentucky Rifle they're talking about? I have in my
          collection a Country Rifle bullet mold recovered near Dunker Church,
          and saw a similar mold with Antietam provenance on display at Heritage
          Day in Sharpsburg.

          I quickly skimmed through Dean Thomas' "Ready ... Aim ... Fire! Small
          Arm Ammunition in the Battle of Gettysburg" and found that .69 shotgun
          slugs have been recovered from the Gettysburg Battlefield, but it's
          unclear whether they were used by a smoothbore musket or shotgun.
          Apparently it could be fired by both.

          As for the "Rohrbach Barn", your guess is as good as mine. I know
          about the substantial barn on the Henry Rohrbach Farm, but don't know
          if one existed on the Noah Rohrbach property. These are the only two
          Rohrbach's that I know of.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
            Scott,

            I have never heard of a Country Rifle.............. Ok on the
            Rohrbach barns.

            You can ask the rangers at Antietam NPS via email about the barns
            etc.... Brian Baracz is a good one to contact there.

            Perhaps I'm using the wrong nomenclature. I've seen references
            "Country Rifles", and the fact that they fired a "picket bullet",
            but,
            as yet, have never seen a photograph of such weapon. Could it be
            the
            readily available Kentucky Rifle they're talking about? I have
            in my
            collection a Country Rifle bullet mold recovered near Dunker
            Church,
            and saw a similar mold with Antietam provenance on display at
            Heritage
            Day in Sharpsburg.

            I quickly skimmed through Dean Thomas' "Ready ... Aim ... Fire!
            Small
            Arm Ammunition in the Battle of Gettysburg" and found that .69
            shotgun
            slugs have been recovered from the Gettysburg Battlefield, but
            it's
            unclear whether they were used by a smoothbore musket or shotgun.
            Apparently it could be fired by both.

            As for the "Rohrbach Barn", your guess is as good as mine. I
            know
            about the substantial barn on the Henry Rohrbach Farm, but don't
            know
            if one existed on the Noah Rohrbach property. These are the only
            two
            Rohrbach's that I know of.

            Scott

            > Dear Scott,
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Use of smoothbore weapons...like the M1842 Springfield...is
            > well
            > documented for both sides at Antietam. However, the Harpers
            > Weekly issue might be talking about Kentucky troops in the
            > Western theater.
            >
            > To my knowledge I have never heard of any KY rifle use at
            > Sharpsburg during the battle but maybe Tom Clemens knows. As to
            > the shotgun...that would be a most unusual weapon for an
            > infantryman to carry... I would understand cavalry, especially
            > Confederate cavalry.
            >
            > Rhorbach Barn...question then becomes which Rohrbach farm?

            > from

          • Scott Hann
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2008
              Dear Gerry,

              Without looking too hard I found the following tidbit about "country
              rifles" in the July 16, 1861 issue of the Richmond Daily Dispatch:
              "The country rifle, also, may often be obtained in sufficient numbers
              to equip a company or two in a county. The use of the Minnie instead
              of the round ball in these, makes them fully as destructive as the
              famed Enfield rifle."

              I'll drop Brian an email about the Rohrbach Barns. Thanks for the
              suggestion.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2008
                Dear Scott,

                You might want to also ask Brian about the "country rifles"
                connection, if there is one. It sounds, though, as if the
                "country rifle" was used more for Home Guards or local militia
                than for regular forces.