Kentucky Rfiles used in the battle of Sharpsburg

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
      Does anyone have evidence, such as a primary source, that Kentucky
      Rifle(s) were used in the battle of Antietam?
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
        Dear Scott,

        Why do you ask? I have never read, anywhere, of any unit
        utilizing Kentucky long rifles during the Battle of Sharpsburg.
        That is not to say that some residents of Sharpsburg in the
        colonial period might not have used them.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
          Dear Gerry,

          There's a woodcut in August 17, 1861 issue of Harper's Weekly
          depicting Confederate uniforms, one of which is for the Kentucky Rifle
          Brigade. It's unclear if they were armed with Kentucky Rifles, or
          were just a brigade from Kentucky armed with rifled muskets. In
          either case, to the best of my knowledge, there was not a brigade at
          Antietam that was armed exclusively with outdated Kentucky Rifles.
          However, could this longarm have seen use at Antietam?

          I've been corresponding with a 2nd Georgia historian who's heard
          rumors of their use at Sharpsburg, however we're looking for
          definitive proof that at least one solider is documented to have used
          one at Antietam.

          We know for a fact that the Irish Brigade was issued Model 1842
          .69-caliber smoothbore muskets. In my own collection I have an
          English Mortimer shotgun found in the Rohrbach Barn after the battle
          (probably left by a wounded soldier), and a bayonet adapted for use on
          a shotgun documented to have been found on the battlefield.

          So, with a overall range of 700-800 yards, and the ability to kill a
          man at 250 yards, it's at least plausible that the Kentucky Rifle,
          with its' superior accuracy over the above mentioned arms, could have
          seen use at Antietam.

          Scott
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
            Dear Scott,

            Thanks.

            Use of smoothbore weapons...like the M1842 Springfield...is well
            documented for both sides at Antietam. However, the Harpers
            Weekly issue might be talking about Kentucky troops in the
            Western theater.

            To my knowledge I have never heard of any KY rifle use at
            Sharpsburg during the battle but maybe Tom Clemens knows. As to
            the shotgun...that would be a most unusual weapon for an
            infantryman to carry... I would understand cavalry, especially
            Confederate cavalry.

            Rhorbach Barn...question then becomes which Rohrbach farm?

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
              Dear Gerry,

              Perhaps I'm using the wrong nomenclature. I've seen references to
              "Country Rifles", and the fact that they fired a "picket bullet", but,
              as yet, have never seen a photograph of such weapon. Could it be the
              readily available Kentucky Rifle they're talking about? I have in my
              collection a Country Rifle bullet mold recovered near Dunker Church,
              and saw a similar mold with Antietam provenance on display at Heritage
              Day in Sharpsburg.

              I quickly skimmed through Dean Thomas' "Ready ... Aim ... Fire! Small
              Arm Ammunition in the Battle of Gettysburg" and found that .69 shotgun
              slugs have been recovered from the Gettysburg Battlefield, but it's
              unclear whether they were used by a smoothbore musket or shotgun.
              Apparently it could be fired by both.

              As for the "Rohrbach Barn", your guess is as good as mine. I know
              about the substantial barn on the Henry Rohrbach Farm, but don't know
              if one existed on the Noah Rohrbach property. These are the only two
              Rohrbach's that I know of.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                Scott,

                I have never heard of a Country Rifle.............. Ok on the
                Rohrbach barns.

                You can ask the rangers at Antietam NPS via email about the barns
                etc.... Brian Baracz is a good one to contact there.

                Perhaps I'm using the wrong nomenclature. I've seen references
                "Country Rifles", and the fact that they fired a "picket bullet",
                but,
                as yet, have never seen a photograph of such weapon. Could it be
                the
                readily available Kentucky Rifle they're talking about? I have
                in my
                collection a Country Rifle bullet mold recovered near Dunker
                Church,
                and saw a similar mold with Antietam provenance on display at
                Heritage
                Day in Sharpsburg.

                I quickly skimmed through Dean Thomas' "Ready ... Aim ... Fire!
                Small
                Arm Ammunition in the Battle of Gettysburg" and found that .69
                shotgun
                slugs have been recovered from the Gettysburg Battlefield, but
                it's
                unclear whether they were used by a smoothbore musket or shotgun.
                Apparently it could be fired by both.

                As for the "Rohrbach Barn", your guess is as good as mine. I
                know
                about the substantial barn on the Henry Rohrbach Farm, but don't
                know
                if one existed on the Noah Rohrbach property. These are the only
                two
                Rohrbach's that I know of.

                Scott

                > Dear Scott,
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Use of smoothbore weapons...like the M1842 Springfield...is
                > well
                > documented for both sides at Antietam. However, the Harpers
                > Weekly issue might be talking about Kentucky troops in the
                > Western theater.
                >
                > To my knowledge I have never heard of any KY rifle use at
                > Sharpsburg during the battle but maybe Tom Clemens knows. As to
                > the shotgun...that would be a most unusual weapon for an
                > infantryman to carry... I would understand cavalry, especially
                > Confederate cavalry.
                >
                > Rhorbach Barn...question then becomes which Rohrbach farm?

                > from

              • Scott Hann
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2008
                  Dear Gerry,

                  Without looking too hard I found the following tidbit about "country
                  rifles" in the July 16, 1861 issue of the Richmond Daily Dispatch:
                  "The country rifle, also, may often be obtained in sufficient numbers
                  to equip a company or two in a county. The use of the Minnie instead
                  of the round ball in these, makes them fully as destructive as the
                  famed Enfield rifle."

                  I'll drop Brian an email about the Rohrbach Barns. Thanks for the
                  suggestion.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2008
                    Dear Scott,

                    You might want to also ask Brian about the "country rifles"
                    connection, if there is one. It sounds, though, as if the
                    "country rifle" was used more for Home Guards or local militia
                    than for regular forces.