Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: "Unfurl those colors!"

    Message 1 of 53 , May 11, 2008

      From: "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:45 AM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: "Unfurl those colors!"

      <snip> > As far as the "rout" of the Sunken Lane goes, and the
      "scratched together" line the Confederates had, that is the crux
      of my question. While we know this was true, what indications
      did the Federals have that it was? I think Armstrong made a
      pretty good argument that there was not a clear indication that
      it was true. In fact, a new threat from the west caused Sumner
      to redeploy his lines to defend against it. Let's take hindsight
      out of it. Were there indications that were missed? If so, what
      were they?<

      Harry, I can not offer much by way of answer or otherwise, but
      IIRC, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Hancock, when
      brought in to replace Richardson as Division Commander, seemed to
      realize that Lee and the ANV were just barely hanging on at that
      point in their Center and one good push would split both halves
      of the ANV apart...clearly giving the Ninth Corps additional
      support. (The latter part of my comment might be hindsight but I
      do not think, again IIRC, Hancock's gut instinct "on the field"
      to be inaccurate.)

      > We can even fast forward, and consider for a moment - as
      > difficult as it may be - that committal of 5th Corps was being
      > considered pending 9th Corps' development. Was the arrival of
      > Hill on the left another indication that the Confederates were
      > in dire straits, or that he had plenty of manpower on hand?

      Does A P Hill's arrival indicate anything that Lee had plenty of
      manpower on hand? What does Harsh say in TATF?

      Message 53 of 53 , May 30, 2008
        Ok. Thanks....