Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Little Known Places at Antietam

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 17, 2002
      Tony,

      My understanding, and this from listening to Keith Snyder, one of
      the rangers at Antietam, is that the "knoll" was actually closer
      to the town of Sharpsburg where the incident of D. H. Hill being
      asked by Longstreet to "give us some interval".

      Maybe our resident Antietam expert, Tom Clemens, could help more
      authoritatively.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 17, 2002
        Tom;

        Sounds like an excellent idea for Antietam! I for one would like
        to know fairly definitively where Barlow's Knoll is located near
        the Sunken Road at Antietam. I am sure others would also like to
        nominate special little areas.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 17, 2002
          In a message dated 1/17/02 10:03:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, rotbaron@... writes:

          I was wondering if we could have some offerings from the group toward a
          similar list for Antietam. For example, I know Paula Gidjunis & company did a
          wonderable job identifying and explaining Croasdale's Knoll. Any suggestions
          toward the list would certainly make for interesting discussion!

          Sounds like a great idea Tom!!  When the list is put together, I can certainly add Croasdale's Knoll.

          Paula
        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 17, 2002
            Tony,
            Basically it is the knoll in Mt. View Cemetery across from the National Cemetery. Joe Harsh and I scouted this a few years back.
            Second alternative is the ridge just toteh north, but I think the cemetery is correct. Surprisingly good view from there.

          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
              In a message dated 01/18/2002 0:49:53 AM EST, clemens@... writes:
              << Basically it is the knoll in Mt. View Cemetery across from the National
              Cemetery. Joe Harsh and I scouted this a few years back. Second alternative
              is the ridge just to the north, but I think the cemetery is correct.
              Surprisingly good view from there. >>

              Scouting the battlefield with Joe Harsh......ah, to dream!

              During anniversary tours a few months ago, I attended Keith Snyder's tour of
              the middle of the Rebel line. We met at parking lot on Boonsboro Pike across
              from cemetery and headed east/northeast. As we reached the crest of
              ridgeline, I asked Keith where he thinks the incident (Hill's horse being hit
              by shell) occurred. He felt it was likely in this area. So we certainly have
              at least two options to choose from!

              Tom Shay
            • kamills
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                Since we are talking about landscapes, where exactly is Nicodemous
                Heights? I have been to Antietam many times, but still have a
                hard time with this location.

                Thank you
                Andy

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                  Tom Shay,
                  We're pretty close. Why we chose the closer location was:
                  1. Lee was on the hill all day and I don't think he traveled very far up the
                  ridge.
                  2. The full account mentions the shell continued down the hill and struck in the
                  ranks of NC regiment and killed a few men. The regiment was described as resting
                  on the outskirts of the town. So if you go too far up the ridge the trajectoy
                  from Weed's guns on the Ecker farm takes you awy from town not towards it.
                  3. Another source said about 75 yards north of the turnpike.

                  This is all from memory, so be generous with you criticism.
                  Tom
                  rotbaron@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 01/18/2002 0:49:53 AM EST, clemens@... writes:
                  > << Basically it is the knoll in Mt. View Cemetery across from the National
                  > Cemetery. Joe Harsh and I scouted this a few years back. Second alternative
                  > is the ridge just to the north, but I think the cemetery is correct.
                  > Surprisingly good view from there. >>
                  >
                  > Scouting the battlefield with Joe Harsh......ah, to dream!
                  >
                  > During anniversary tours a few months ago, I attended Keith Snyder's tour of
                  > the middle of the Rebel line. We met at parking lot on Boonsboro Pike across
                  > from cemetery and headed east/northeast. As we reached the crest of
                  > ridgeline, I asked Keith where he thinks the incident (Hill's horse being hit
                  > by shell) occurred. He felt it was likely in this area. So we certainly have
                  > at least two options to choose from!
                  >
                  > Tom Shay

                • Tom Clemens
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                    It is west of the Rt. 65 bypass. Just north of the West Woods you'll see a
                    farm with a large white house and a barn behind it. The cleared ridge behind
                    the barn is Nicodemus Hts.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                      Tom

                      Thank you. I appreciate the help. Is this part of the
                      battlefield, that you can tour, or is it privately owned? How
                      important was this position as an artillery placement? I have
                      heard both that is significantly helped the 1st phase to it was
                      about worthless.

                      Thank you
                      Andy

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                        Andy,
                        It is within the boundary, under scenic easement and cannot be developed, but
                        privately owned. It is off-limits w/o permission of the owners, and they are
                        quirky. The last time I went up there I called the son, who was very
                        accommodating, but when I got there the old man gave all kinds of grief.
                        Luckily I was touring a group of Marines, who didn't intimidate very easily.
                        It is a nice view from there, but Pelham was gone from there by 6:30 am. Joe
                        Harsh downplays its importance, and makes a good case, but I think it still
                        held strong strategic value. The high ground behind J. Poffenberger's house
                        is higher, and commands the ridge, but if the Federals had acquired it then
                        it might have been a very different story.
                        Tom

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                          Tom;

                          Would this have been before Anderson's Brigade moved from
                          somewhat near the present cemetery up through the Piper Swale to
                          the Sunken Road?

                          That would be the only way I could see some NC boys being killed
                          by the same shell...unless it was NC boys in units other than
                          those belonging to Anderson.

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Service.

                        • TR Livesey
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                            See http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/tour/n_woods/niclos.html for a map
                            that shows the region around Nicodemous heights; actually, it shows what
                            you should be able to see from there.

                            Regards,
                            TR Livesey
                            tlivesey@...

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                              I don't remember off-hand, but I think it is Joe's book, maybe STS, not TAF.

                            • Bill or Glenna Jo Christen
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                                suggestions...

                                The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
                                positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.

                                Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?

                                Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

                                Bill Christen
                              • TR Livesey
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                                  Here are a few suggestions I would add...

                                  The southeast corner of Otto's 40 acre cornfield. Nifty place if you know where to cut
                                  through the brambles. You can see where the 4th RI made its 'stand'.

                                  The extreme right flank of the Federal line, near the Nicodemus house. We've all
                                  been there, but if you are not whizzing by at 50 m.p.h on the bypass, there is
                                  some very interesting terrain, particularly where a gully opens up to
                                  the east, used by Gibbon's (and others troops) to move east/west.

                                  The Reel farm. There is the well known photograph of the burned out Reel
                                  farm, but few actually visit the spot.

                                  The bluffs on the south side of the Boonsboro turnpike, looking down on
                                  the Newcomer farm, where Pleasonton's calvary fanned out. The area is
                                  readily accessible, but rarely visited.

                                  The Sharpsburg ridge. Such a big feature, it is hard to recognize up close,
                                  but if you trace it from the Middlekauf farm southward to the visitor's center,
                                  and then westward where it runs off the battlefield, you can see how the battle
                                  pivoted along the crest line.

                                  The west slope of the Porterstown ridge, between the lower and middle bridges,
                                  alone the line of Federal Artillery. Great view looking westward over the
                                  battlefield.

                                  The peak of the hill where the Antietam bends, held by the 50th GA (not the
                                  Georgian overlook). Very wooded today, was wooded then too.

                                  All locations described above are in the park, and no trespassing is required.

                                  Regards,
                                  TR Livesey
                                  tlivesey@...
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                                    Bill;

                                    Those are good questions. However, the camps of all the troops of
                                    the Ninth Corps might have been on the ridges back beyond the
                                    Lower Bridge on the farm now presently used by groups as a group
                                    campsite and certainly spread out in that general area. This is
                                    my opinion but have nothing solid on this.

                                    As to Jackson's HQ the morning of the battle, everything I have
                                    read seems to indicate a very flexible "HQ" centered around the
                                    West Woods area.

                                    As to Holmes, I wonder if the monument to the Philadelphia
                                    Brigade accurately positions the middle of the brigade's lines at
                                    the time of their halt in the West Woods. To accurately pinpoint
                                    Holmes's location in the battle line might require a knowledge of
                                    where both his regiment and his company were situated. Wonder if
                                    Holmes himself ever left any writings about where he was at the
                                    time he was shot in the neck?

                                    Your humble servant,
                                    Gerry Mayers
                                    Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                                    http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

                                    Edward Lee

                                    > The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the
                                    battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
                                    > positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.
                                    >
                                    > Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?
                                    >
                                    > Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when
                                    he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

                                    > Bill Christen

                                    Service.