Re: [TalkAntietam] Local Speaker needed

    Message 1 of 5 , May 8 7:00 PM
      Mary,
      When I was first hired at HCC as a faculty memeber I taught at MCI-H for a while. Also MCTC & Roxbury. Some of the best students I ever knew. During the summer I could come up one day and do something. Contact me off-line and we'll discuss the details.

      >>> "Mary A. Stevanus" <antietam111@...> 05/08/08 3:42 PM >>>

      Good Afternoon,

      I am seeking advice or assistance from this esteemed group.

      I live in Sharpsburg and am the Library Director at the Maryland
      Correctional Institution up Rt. 65. We recently won a grant from the
      American Library Association and the NEH on the theme of "Created
      Equal" called the We the People Bookshelf. We were awarded a
      collection of books on a variety of topics such as the Dec. of
      Indep., underground railroad, emanicipation and freedom to use in
      book discussions. Also, we received a collection of primary and
      secondary materials created by the Gilder-Lehrman Institute in
      commemoration of the upcoming Lincoln bicentenial. This is a really
      wonderful resource, but I would love to supplement it with some old-
      fashioned human interaction in the form of speakers.

      The themes of Lincoln, freedom, and emancipation are particularly
      relevant to my patrons and a surprising number are real history
      buffs. I am hoping to locate local speakers to come to the jail and
      give a talk/lecture/group discussion on these topics. I can assure
      you these guys would really appreciate the efforts. I can help with
      a small stipend, if needed. Don't be afraid to come!

      If you would be interested, or can direct me to a source for
      assistance I would really appreciate it!

      Thanks,

      Mary Stevanus
      MCI-H Library
    • Mary A. Stevanus
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14 2:28 PM

        I want to thank you so much for your generous offer. I will be in
        touch. Since you've worked here you know how eagerly the men look
        forward to any kind of intellectual stimulation and educational
        opportunity. If you know of anyone else who might be willing to
        come by, please let me know - everybody!

        Mary S.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 14 7:36 PM
          Mary,

          I'd be happy to do a talk. I've played guitar there a few times at
          gospel festivals and it was a great experience.

          Regards,
          Stephen Recker
          Interactive Producer

          Another Software Miracle
          P.O. Box 705
          Sharpsburg, MD 21782
          240-217-3664
          800-417-9596

          http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
          http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
          http://www.virtualantietam.com

          On Wednesday, May 14, 2008, at 05:28 PM, Mary A. Stevanus wrote:

          > Tom,
          >
          > I want to thank you so much for your generous offer. I will be in
          > touch. Since you've worked here you know how eagerly the men look
          > forward to any kind of intellectual stimulation and educational
          > opportunity. If you know of anyone else who might be willing to
          > come by, please let me know - everybody!
          >
          > Mary S.

        • Scott Mingus
          Message 4 of 5 , May 29 6:37 PM
            Mary,

            I would be willing to donate a signed copy of my book, Human Interest
            Stories from Antietam to your library if you are interested.

            Send me an e-mail at scottmingusATyahooDOTcom.

            Scott