Local Speaker needed

  • Mary A. Stevanus
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2008
      Good Afternoon,

      I am seeking advice or assistance from this esteemed group.

      I live in Sharpsburg and am the Library Director at the Maryland
      Correctional Institution up Rt. 65. We recently won a grant from the
      American Library Association and the NEH on the theme of "Created
      Equal" called the We the People Bookshelf. We were awarded a
      collection of books on a variety of topics such as the Dec. of
      Indep., underground railroad, emanicipation and freedom to use in
      book discussions. Also, we received a collection of primary and
      secondary materials created by the Gilder-Lehrman Institute in
      commemoration of the upcoming Lincoln bicentenial. This is a really
      wonderful resource, but I would love to supplement it with some old-
      fashioned human interaction in the form of speakers.

      The themes of Lincoln, freedom, and emancipation are particularly
      relevant to my patrons and a surprising number are real history
      buffs. I am hoping to locate local speakers to come to the jail and
      give a talk/lecture/group discussion on these topics. I can assure
      you these guys would really appreciate the efforts. I can help with
      a small stipend, if needed. Don't be afraid to come!

      If you would be interested, or can direct me to a source for
      assistance I would really appreciate it!

      Thanks,

      Mary Stevanus
      MCI-H Library
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2008
        Mary,
        When I was first hired at HCC as a faculty memeber I taught at MCI-H for a while. Also MCTC & Roxbury. Some of the best students I ever knew. During the summer I could come up one day and do something. Contact me off-line and we'll discuss the details.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 14, 2008

          I want to thank you so much for your generous offer. I will be in
          touch. Since you've worked here you know how eagerly the men look
          forward to any kind of intellectual stimulation and educational
          opportunity. If you know of anyone else who might be willing to
          come by, please let me know - everybody!

          Mary S.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2008
            Mary,

            I'd be happy to do a talk. I've played guitar there a few times at
            gospel festivals and it was a great experience.

            Regards,
            Stephen Recker
            Interactive Producer

            Another Software Miracle
            P.O. Box 705
            Sharpsburg, MD 21782
            240-217-3664
            800-417-9596

            http://www.anothersoftwaremiracle.com
            http://www.virtualgettysburg.com
            http://www.virtualantietam.com

            On Wednesday, May 14, 2008, at 05:28 PM, Mary A. Stevanus wrote:

            > Tom,
            >
            > I want to thank you so much for your generous offer. I will be in
            > touch. Since you've worked here you know how eagerly the men look
            > forward to any kind of intellectual stimulation and educational
            > opportunity. If you know of anyone else who might be willing to
            > come by, please let me know - everybody!
            >
            > Mary S.

          • Scott Mingus
            Message 5 of 5 , May 29, 2008
              Mary,

              I would be willing to donate a signed copy of my book, Human Interest
              Stories from Antietam to your library if you are interested.

              Send me an e-mail at scottmingusATyahooDOTcom.

              Scott