Boonsboro hotel on track to be rebuilt

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2008
      From today's Hagerstown Herald-Mail:

      Historic Boonsboro hotel building on track to be rebuilt by Christmas

      With the masonry almost finished and the framing begun, the historic Boone Hotel in Boonsboro is on track to be rebuilt by Christmas, co-owner Bruce Wilder said this week. "We're very happy with the progress," said Wilder, who co-owns the hotel with his wife, author Nora Roberts. "As soon as we got the permit, we started in there working." Wilder and Roberts were in the process of renovating the hotel in February, when the building was gutted by a four-alarm fire that started when a liquid propane tank was knocked over by construction workers.

      After learning the stone walls would not have to be razed, the owners announced they planned to rebuild the hotel and continue with plans to reopen it as a romance-themed inn. More than two months later, progress is visible from behind the hotel's plywood wrapping and scaffolding. Fresh concrete blocks fill out holes in the walls and new wooden beams extend from the third story.

      The hotel will be rebuilt exactly as it was before the fire because major changes would stretch out the permit process, Wilder said. This way, the owners only needed to revise their renovation permits to include the roof, porch and other elements destroyed in the fire, he said.

      Full story is at: http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=193263&format=html