Re: [TalkAntietam] AP Hill's route vs the route taken by the other divisions to Antietam

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 24, 2008
      Just walk the new West Woods trail, you'll see them there.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> Dean Essig <dean_essig@...> 4/24/2008 1:10 PM >>>

      Thanks Tom!

      I thought I had seen that in Harsh, but wasn't able to
      find the right section just now in my prep work.

      Oh, if you happen to see two idiots wandering around
      the West Woods looking for additional rock ledge
      formations, that'll be us. ;-)

      --- Thomas Clemens <clemenst@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dean,
      > Yes the routes did vary. McLaws, for example,
      > crossed over the pontoon bridge at HF, and finding
      > no rations available, marched to Charlestown and
      > then poceeded along the road from Charlestown to
      > Boteler's Ford, using more or less, the Flowing
      > Spring Road. Most of Jackson's troops probably took
      > the roads through Halltown and joining the road from
      > Charlestown at the Trough road intersection marched
      > directly to the ford. This is off the top of my
      > head and can be verified with Taken at the Flood and
      > some other sources.
      >

      > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      > 12:03 PM >>>
      >
      > Hi Guys!
      >
      > In a couple of weeks, I'll be going on a trip to the
      > park to examine certain terrain and map
      > issues.
      >
      > One of the things I'll be looking at experimentally
      > (as best I can) is the difference in milage
      > between the routes taken from HF to Sharpsburg by
      > Hill as compared to the divisions that
      > went northward earlier.
      >
      > I have a great idea of the Hill route, but am having
      > trouble pinning down the route McLaws
      > and the others took. As I understand it, it was
      > different, using better and shorter roads than
      > the serpentine river route Hill took.
      >
      > Is this accurate? What route did the other divisions
      > take?

      > removed]

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 25, 2008
        The Visitors Center has a driving tour map of Hill's march route. The
        way through Sheperdstown requires a bit of guesswork. I drove it a few
        weeks ago, going the opposite direction of the march (which may explain
        why I had issues in Shepherdstown).

        Hill did not come up the Harper's Ferry Rd, but left HF on what is now
        Rt. 28, crossed at Boteler's Ford, and moved to the right along
        Miller's Sawmill Rd.

        I also walked the West Woods Trail a couple weeks ago. Wicked
        terrain. And when you stop at the 15th MA monument, you can really see
        the importance of Hauser's Ridge as an artillery position, and imagine
        what Sedgwick's men faced when they moved to the edge of the woods.

        Steve
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 25, 2008
          Dear Steve,

          That new trail must be something! Also, do you know that where
          the present SR65 bypass is largely where the lead brigade of
          Sedgwick's division fought it out with some of the Confederate
          brigades immediately prior to being "bushwhacked"?

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 25, 2008

            I checked the War College guide at lunch - I didn't realize the 15th MA
            was Gorman's flank regiment, or that the right of his line was actually
            on the other side of the bypass. I haven't spent much time in the West
            Woods in the past, and I'm looking forward to going back after I finish
            the new Armstrong book.

            Steve