Little Known Places at Antietam

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 17, 2002
      For the upcoming GDG Muster, I plan to co-host a tour of little known places
      around the Gettysburg battlefield. The list originated from two Guides who
      put together a list of "140 Places Every Guide Should Know". It includes
      battle-era scrawlings on rocks, spots where certain people were shot, remains
      of old homes, etc.

      I was wondering if we could have some offerings from the group toward a
      similar list for Antietam. For example, I know Paula Gidjunis & company did a
      wonderable job identifying and explaining Croasdale's Knoll. Any suggestions
      toward the list would certainly make for interesting discussion!

      Tom Shay
    • Anthony W. Turner
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 17, 2002
        On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, rotbaron@... wrote:

        >> I plan to co-host a tour of little known places around the Gettysburg battlefield. The list originated from two Guides who
        put together a list of "140 Places Every Guide Should Know" ... I was
        wondering if we could have some offerings from the group toward a
        similar list for Antietam. <<

        Sears and other Antietam authors tell of "an exposed knoll near the
        Hagerstown turnpike where Gens. Lee, Longstreet and D.H. Hill met to
        view the advance of Gen. Wm. H. French's division toward the Sunken
        Road. Hill rode atop the knoll, I believe, in view of Federal
        artellerists who proceeded to lob a shell which blew off the forelegs of
        his horse. The horse angled foreward but did not fall. "Hill was in a
        most ludicrous position," Longstreet wrote later.

        Where exactly is the knoll, assuming it's still there? Can visitors be
        led to stand atop it and see where the federal artillery came from?

        Tony Turner
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 17, 2002
          Tony,

          My understanding, and this from listening to Keith Snyder, one of
          the rangers at Antietam, is that the "knoll" was actually closer
          to the town of Sharpsburg where the incident of D. H. Hill being
          asked by Longstreet to "give us some interval".

          Maybe our resident Antietam expert, Tom Clemens, could help more
          authoritatively.

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

          Edward Lee

          > >> I plan to co-host a tour of little known places around the
          Gettysburg battlefield. The list originated from two Guides who
          > put together a list of "140 Places Every Guide Should Know" ...
          I was
          > wondering if we could have some offerings from the group toward
          > similar list for Antietam. <<
          >
          > Sears and other Antietam authors tell of "an exposed knoll near
          the
          > Hagerstown turnpike where Gens. Lee, Longstreet and D.H. Hill
          met to
          > view the advance of Gen. Wm. H. French's division toward the
          Sunken
          > Road. Hill rode atop the knoll, I believe, in view of Federal
          > artellerists who proceeded to lob a shell which blew off the
          forelegs of
          > his horse. The horse angled foreward but did not fall. "Hill
          was in a
          > most ludicrous position," Longstreet wrote later.
          >
          > Where exactly is the knoll, assuming it's still there? Can
          visitors be
          > led to stand atop it and see where the federal artillery came
          from?

          > Tony Turner
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 17, 2002
            Tom;

            Sounds like an excellent idea for Antietam! I for one would like
            to know fairly definitively where Barlow's Knoll is located near
            the Sunken Road at Antietam. I am sure others would also like to
            nominate special little areas.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

            Edward Lee

            > For the upcoming GDG Muster, I plan to co-host a tour of little
            known places
            > around the Gettysburg battlefield. The list originated from two
            Guides who
            > put together a list of "140 Places Every Guide Should Know". It
            includes
            > battle-era scrawlings on rocks, spots where certain people were
            shot, remains
            > of old homes, etc.
            >
            > I was wondering if we could have some offerings from the group
            toward a
            > similar list for Antietam. For example, I know Paula Gidjunis &
            company did a
            > wonderable job identifying and explaining Croasdale's Knoll.
            Any suggestions
            > toward the list would certainly make for interesting
            discussion!

            > Tom Shay
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

          • Pa128th@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 17, 2002
              In a message dated 1/17/02 10:03:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, rotbaron@... writes:

              I was wondering if we could have some offerings from the group toward a
              similar list for Antietam. For example, I know Paula Gidjunis & company did a
              wonderable job identifying and explaining Croasdale's Knoll. Any suggestions
              toward the list would certainly make for interesting discussion!

              Sounds like a great idea Tom!!  When the list is put together, I can certainly add Croasdale's Knoll.

              Paula
            • Tom Clemens
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 17, 2002
                Tony,
                Basically it is the knoll in Mt. View Cemetery across from the National Cemetery. Joe Harsh and I scouted this a few years back.
                Second alternative is the ridge just toteh north, but I think the cemetery is correct. Surprisingly good view from there.

              • rotbaron@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                  In a message dated 01/18/2002 0:49:53 AM EST, clemens@... writes:
                  << Basically it is the knoll in Mt. View Cemetery across from the National
                  Cemetery. Joe Harsh and I scouted this a few years back. Second alternative
                  is the ridge just to the north, but I think the cemetery is correct.
                  Surprisingly good view from there. >>

                  Scouting the battlefield with Joe Harsh......ah, to dream!

                  During anniversary tours a few months ago, I attended Keith Snyder's tour of
                  the middle of the Rebel line. We met at parking lot on Boonsboro Pike across
                  from cemetery and headed east/northeast. As we reached the crest of
                  ridgeline, I asked Keith where he thinks the incident (Hill's horse being hit
                  by shell) occurred. He felt it was likely in this area. So we certainly have
                  at least two options to choose from!

                  Tom Shay
                • kamills
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                    Since we are talking about landscapes, where exactly is Nicodemous
                    Heights? I have been to Antietam many times, but still have a
                    hard time with this location.

                    Thank you
                    Andy

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                      Tom Shay,
                      We're pretty close. Why we chose the closer location was:
                      1. Lee was on the hill all day and I don't think he traveled very far up the
                      ridge.
                      2. The full account mentions the shell continued down the hill and struck in the
                      ranks of NC regiment and killed a few men. The regiment was described as resting
                      on the outskirts of the town. So if you go too far up the ridge the trajectoy
                      from Weed's guns on the Ecker farm takes you awy from town not towards it.
                      3. Another source said about 75 yards north of the turnpike.

                      This is all from memory, so be generous with you criticism.
                      Tom
                      rotbaron@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 01/18/2002 0:49:53 AM EST, clemens@... writes:
                      > << Basically it is the knoll in Mt. View Cemetery across from the National
                      > Cemetery. Joe Harsh and I scouted this a few years back. Second alternative
                      > is the ridge just to the north, but I think the cemetery is correct.
                      > Surprisingly good view from there. >>
                      >
                      > Scouting the battlefield with Joe Harsh......ah, to dream!
                      >
                      > During anniversary tours a few months ago, I attended Keith Snyder's tour of
                      > the middle of the Rebel line. We met at parking lot on Boonsboro Pike across
                      > from cemetery and headed east/northeast. As we reached the crest of
                      > ridgeline, I asked Keith where he thinks the incident (Hill's horse being hit
                      > by shell) occurred. He felt it was likely in this area. So we certainly have
                      > at least two options to choose from!
                      >
                      > Tom Shay

                    • Tom Clemens
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                        It is west of the Rt. 65 bypass. Just north of the West Woods you'll see a
                        farm with a large white house and a barn behind it. The cleared ridge behind
                        the barn is Nicodemus Hts.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                          Tom

                          Thank you. I appreciate the help. Is this part of the
                          battlefield, that you can tour, or is it privately owned? How
                          important was this position as an artillery placement? I have
                          heard both that is significantly helped the 1st phase to it was
                          about worthless.

                          Thank you
                          Andy

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                            Andy,
                            It is within the boundary, under scenic easement and cannot be developed, but
                            privately owned. It is off-limits w/o permission of the owners, and they are
                            quirky. The last time I went up there I called the son, who was very
                            accommodating, but when I got there the old man gave all kinds of grief.
                            Luckily I was touring a group of Marines, who didn't intimidate very easily.
                            It is a nice view from there, but Pelham was gone from there by 6:30 am. Joe
                            Harsh downplays its importance, and makes a good case, but I think it still
                            held strong strategic value. The high ground behind J. Poffenberger's house
                            is higher, and commands the ridge, but if the Federals had acquired it then
                            it might have been a very different story.
                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                              Tom;

                              Would this have been before Anderson's Brigade moved from
                              somewhat near the present cemetery up through the Piper Swale to
                              the Sunken Road?

                              That would be the only way I could see some NC boys being killed
                              by the same shell...unless it was NC boys in units other than
                              those belonging to Anderson.

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Service.

                            • TR Livesey
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                                See http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/tour/n_woods/niclos.html for a map
                                that shows the region around Nicodemous heights; actually, it shows what
                                you should be able to see from there.

                                Regards,
                                TR Livesey
                                tlivesey@...

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 18, 2002
                                  I don't remember off-hand, but I think it is Joe's book, maybe STS, not TAF.

                                • Bill or Glenna Jo Christen
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                                    suggestions...

                                    The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
                                    positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.

                                    Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?

                                    Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

                                    Bill Christen
                                  • TR Livesey
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                                      Here are a few suggestions I would add...

                                      The southeast corner of Otto's 40 acre cornfield. Nifty place if you know where to cut
                                      through the brambles. You can see where the 4th RI made its 'stand'.

                                      The extreme right flank of the Federal line, near the Nicodemus house. We've all
                                      been there, but if you are not whizzing by at 50 m.p.h on the bypass, there is
                                      some very interesting terrain, particularly where a gully opens up to
                                      the east, used by Gibbon's (and others troops) to move east/west.

                                      The Reel farm. There is the well known photograph of the burned out Reel
                                      farm, but few actually visit the spot.

                                      The bluffs on the south side of the Boonsboro turnpike, looking down on
                                      the Newcomer farm, where Pleasonton's calvary fanned out. The area is
                                      readily accessible, but rarely visited.

                                      The Sharpsburg ridge. Such a big feature, it is hard to recognize up close,
                                      but if you trace it from the Middlekauf farm southward to the visitor's center,
                                      and then westward where it runs off the battlefield, you can see how the battle
                                      pivoted along the crest line.

                                      The west slope of the Porterstown ridge, between the lower and middle bridges,
                                      alone the line of Federal Artillery. Great view looking westward over the
                                      battlefield.

                                      The peak of the hill where the Antietam bends, held by the 50th GA (not the
                                      Georgian overlook). Very wooded today, was wooded then too.

                                      All locations described above are in the park, and no trespassing is required.

                                      Regards,
                                      TR Livesey
                                      tlivesey@...
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 19, 2002
                                        Bill;

                                        Those are good questions. However, the camps of all the troops of
                                        the Ninth Corps might have been on the ridges back beyond the
                                        Lower Bridge on the farm now presently used by groups as a group
                                        campsite and certainly spread out in that general area. This is
                                        my opinion but have nothing solid on this.

                                        As to Jackson's HQ the morning of the battle, everything I have
                                        read seems to indicate a very flexible "HQ" centered around the
                                        West Woods area.

                                        As to Holmes, I wonder if the monument to the Philadelphia
                                        Brigade accurately positions the middle of the brigade's lines at
                                        the time of their halt in the West Woods. To accurately pinpoint
                                        Holmes's location in the battle line might require a knowledge of
                                        where both his regiment and his company were situated. Wonder if
                                        Holmes himself ever left any writings about where he was at the
                                        time he was shot in the neck?

                                        Your humble servant,
                                        Gerry Mayers
                                        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                                        http://home.earthlink.net/~gerry1952/index.html

                                        Edward Lee

                                        > The camps of the Ninth Corps troops on the night before the
                                        battle. In fact, I would like to see a good map of all troop
                                        > positions on the 16th and on the night before the battle.
                                        >
                                        > Where was Jackson's HQ at the start of the battle?
                                        >
                                        > Where in the West Woods was Oliver W. Holmes, Jr. standing when
                                        he was wounded? and where was he eventually found?

                                        > Bill Christen

                                        Service.