Re:Paul J. Scheips Myer Biography

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
      David,

      I have his CWH article and it is excellent. Thank you for your offer
      but I think I will order the book hoping it is as good as his article.

      You don't happen to have the two master's theses on numbers at Second
      Bull Run by Allen and at the Seven Days by Tenney?

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "flagflop" <dwgaddy@...> wrote:

      > Larry,
      >
      > In book form, the dissertation runs 673 pages, no index. Portion on
      > fall 1862 Md campaign runs about ten-fifteen pages. No surprises
      that
      > I notice in quick-scan. I also have carbon of his synopsis and some
      > other odd papers. His "Union Signal Communications: Innovation and
      > Conflict" ("Civil War History," IX, 4, Dec 1963) is a good
      overview,
      > one he was proud of. Would be happy to repro and send you
      > the "Maryland" pages, but if you're like me, you'd rather see the
      > whole for yourself. Would snail-mail to you if you wish (and
      promise
      > not to spill cawfee on it). Don't know Proquest price, so your
      call.

      > <eighth_conn_inf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > David,
      > >
      > > I am interested in the book mainly for the Maryland Campaign but
      > also
      > > for the signal corps in general in the CW. Before I buy it from
      > > Proquest, I wanted to see if it would have enough material to
      make
      > my
      > > purchase worthwhile.
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > >
      > > Larry
      > >
      > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Gaddy" <dwgaddy@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have a copy, from Paul's library. Anything in particular?

    • flagflop
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
        Larry,

        No, I do not have (nor have seen) the two masters' theses. Paul's
        dissertation (as title indicates) concentrates on the man, with less
        tech or operational detail than one might like. I had often urged its
        publication, and he tried to get it revised into what he considered a
        more appropriate book, but evidently never was satisfied nor able to
        devote the time himself. I had wanted a copy and saw it listed from
        his estate.

        David Gaddy