Re:Paul J. Scheips Myer Biography

  • flagflop
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
      Larry,

      In book form, the dissertation runs 673 pages, no index. Portion on
      fall 1862 Md campaign runs about ten-fifteen pages. No surprises that
      I notice in quick-scan. I also have carbon of his synopsis and some
      other odd papers. His "Union Signal Communications: Innovation and
      Conflict" ("Civil War History," IX, 4, Dec 1963) is a good overview,
      one he was proud of. Would be happy to repro and send you
      the "Maryland" pages, but if you're like me, you'd rather see the
      whole for yourself. Would snail-mail to you if you wish (and promise
      not to spill cawfee on it). Don't know Proquest price, so your call.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
        David,

        I have his CWH article and it is excellent. Thank you for your offer
        but I think I will order the book hoping it is as good as his article.

        You don't happen to have the two master's theses on numbers at Second
        Bull Run by Allen and at the Seven Days by Tenney?

        Larry

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
          Larry,

          No, I do not have (nor have seen) the two masters' theses. Paul's
          dissertation (as title indicates) concentrates on the man, with less
          tech or operational detail than one might like. I had often urged its
          publication, and he tried to get it revised into what he considered a
          more appropriate book, but evidently never was satisfied nor able to
          devote the time himself. I had wanted a copy and saw it listed from
          his estate.

          David Gaddy