Re:Paul J. Scheips Myer Biography

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
      David,

      I am interested in the book mainly for the Maryland Campaign but also
      for the signal corps in general in the CW. Before I buy it from
      Proquest, I wanted to see if it would have enough material to make my
      purchase worthwhile.

      Thank you,

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Gaddy" <dwgaddy@...>
      wrote:

      > I have a copy, from Paul's library. Anything in particular?

    • flagflop
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
        Larry,

        In book form, the dissertation runs 673 pages, no index. Portion on
        fall 1862 Md campaign runs about ten-fifteen pages. No surprises that
        I notice in quick-scan. I also have carbon of his synopsis and some
        other odd papers. His "Union Signal Communications: Innovation and
        Conflict" ("Civil War History," IX, 4, Dec 1963) is a good overview,
        one he was proud of. Would be happy to repro and send you
        the "Maryland" pages, but if you're like me, you'd rather see the
        whole for yourself. Would snail-mail to you if you wish (and promise
        not to spill cawfee on it). Don't know Proquest price, so your call.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
          David,

          I have his CWH article and it is excellent. Thank you for your offer
          but I think I will order the book hoping it is as good as his article.

          You don't happen to have the two master's theses on numbers at Second
          Bull Run by Allen and at the Seven Days by Tenney?

          Larry

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
            Larry,

            No, I do not have (nor have seen) the two masters' theses. Paul's
            dissertation (as title indicates) concentrates on the man, with less
            tech or operational detail than one might like. I had often urged its
            publication, and he tried to get it revised into what he considered a
            more appropriate book, but evidently never was satisfied nor able to
            devote the time himself. I had wanted a copy and saw it listed from
            his estate.

            David Gaddy