Re:Paul J. Scheips Myer Biography

  • David W. Gaddy
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
      I have a copy, from Paul's library. Anything in particular?
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
        David,

        I am interested in the book mainly for the Maryland Campaign but also
        for the signal corps in general in the CW. Before I buy it from
        Proquest, I wanted to see if it would have enough material to make my
        purchase worthwhile.

        Thank you,

        Larry

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Gaddy" <dwgaddy@...>
        wrote:

        > I have a copy, from Paul's library. Anything in particular?

      • flagflop
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
          Larry,

          In book form, the dissertation runs 673 pages, no index. Portion on
          fall 1862 Md campaign runs about ten-fifteen pages. No surprises that
          I notice in quick-scan. I also have carbon of his synopsis and some
          other odd papers. His "Union Signal Communications: Innovation and
          Conflict" ("Civil War History," IX, 4, Dec 1963) is a good overview,
          one he was proud of. Would be happy to repro and send you
          the "Maryland" pages, but if you're like me, you'd rather see the
          whole for yourself. Would snail-mail to you if you wish (and promise
          not to spill cawfee on it). Don't know Proquest price, so your call.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
            David,

            I have his CWH article and it is excellent. Thank you for your offer
            but I think I will order the book hoping it is as good as his article.

            You don't happen to have the two master's theses on numbers at Second
            Bull Run by Allen and at the Seven Days by Tenney?

            Larry

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 15, 2008
              Larry,

              No, I do not have (nor have seen) the two masters' theses. Paul's
              dissertation (as title indicates) concentrates on the man, with less
              tech or operational detail than one might like. I had often urged its
              publication, and he tried to get it revised into what he considered a
              more appropriate book, but evidently never was satisfied nor able to
              devote the time himself. I had wanted a copy and saw it listed from
              his estate.

              David Gaddy