Re: [TalkAntietam] Re:"Unfurl Those Colors!"

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008
      Spot on, Harry!

      From: "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:21 PM
      Subject: RE: [TalkAntietam] Re:"Unfurl Those Colors!"

      >I think Harsh has it right. Lee never really thought that the
      >garrison at
      > HF would hold out. The untenable nature of the place was well
      > known from
      > the beginning (see Joe Johnston in 1861), and it was pretty
      > much assumed the
      > garrison would flee, the only question being in what direction.
      > Halleck
      > unintentionally kicked over Lee's applecart by ordering Miles
      > to hold out.
      > It was that decision, or rather Lee's failure to consider that
      > option on the
      > 9th, that wrested the initiative from the Confederacy. This
      > was exacerbated
      > by Lee's inaccurate intel regarding the movement of the AotP up
      > to that
      > point. The blame for that rests firmly on the shoulders of JEB
      > Stuart, IMO.
      >
      > Harry

    • flagflop
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 14, 2008
        Harry, Generally agree. "Lee" (or staff?) either under-estimated or
        was unrealistically demanding in time allocation, and seems to have
        under-estimated the difficulty of getting arty on Elk Ridge/Md Hgts
        and the resistence Kershaw would encounter. In So Hist Coll at Chapel
        Hill, there is a McLaws complaint of being blocked from prompt
        movement by failure of Longstreet to move ahead, prompting McL to
        seek an alternate route. (This is an "off-the-top" long ago recall on
        my part.)
        Dave Gaddy