Paul J. Scheips Myer Biography

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13 1:11 PM
      Has anyone read "Albert J. Myer, Founder of the Army Signal Corps: A
      Biography" a PhD thesis by Dr. Paul J. Scheips?
    • David W. Gaddy
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14 11:14 AM
        I have a copy, from Paul's library. Anything in particular?
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14 1:28 PM
          David,

          I am interested in the book mainly for the Maryland Campaign but also
          for the signal corps in general in the CW. Before I buy it from
          Proquest, I wanted to see if it would have enough material to make my
          purchase worthwhile.

          Thank you,

          Larry

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Gaddy" <dwgaddy@...>
          wrote:

          > I have a copy, from Paul's library. Anything in particular?

        • flagflop
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14 8:37 PM
            Larry,

            In book form, the dissertation runs 673 pages, no index. Portion on
            fall 1862 Md campaign runs about ten-fifteen pages. No surprises that
            I notice in quick-scan. I also have carbon of his synopsis and some
            other odd papers. His "Union Signal Communications: Innovation and
            Conflict" ("Civil War History," IX, 4, Dec 1963) is a good overview,
            one he was proud of. Would be happy to repro and send you
            the "Maryland" pages, but if you're like me, you'd rather see the
            whole for yourself. Would snail-mail to you if you wish (and promise
            not to spill cawfee on it). Don't know Proquest price, so your call.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 15 3:54 AM
              David,

              I have his CWH article and it is excellent. Thank you for your offer
              but I think I will order the book hoping it is as good as his article.

              You don't happen to have the two master's theses on numbers at Second
              Bull Run by Allen and at the Seven Days by Tenney?

              Larry

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 15 7:43 PM
                Larry,

                No, I do not have (nor have seen) the two masters' theses. Paul's
                dissertation (as title indicates) concentrates on the man, with less
                tech or operational detail than one might like. I had often urged its
                publication, and he tried to get it revised into what he considered a
                more appropriate book, but evidently never was satisfied nor able to
                devote the time himself. I had wanted a copy and saw it listed from
                his estate.

                David Gaddy