RE: [TalkAntietam] Re:"Unfurl Those Colors!"

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12, 2008
      I think Harsh has it right. Lee never really thought that the garrison at
      HF would hold out. The untenable nature of the place was well known from
      the beginning (see Joe Johnston in 1861), and it was pretty much assumed the
      garrison would flee, the only question being in what direction. Halleck
      unintentionally kicked over Lee's applecart by ordering Miles to hold out.
      It was that decision, or rather Lee's failure to consider that option on the
      9th, that wrested the initiative from the Confederacy. This was exacerbated
      by Lee's inaccurate intel regarding the movement of the AotP up to that
      point. The blame for that rests firmly on the shoulders of JEB Stuart, IMO.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008
        Spot on, Harry!

        >I think Harsh has it right. Lee never really thought that the
        >garrison at
        > HF would hold out. The untenable nature of the place was well
        > known from
        > the beginning (see Joe Johnston in 1861), and it was pretty
        > much assumed the
        > garrison would flee, the only question being in what direction.
        > Halleck
        > unintentionally kicked over Lee's applecart by ordering Miles
        > to hold out.
        > It was that decision, or rather Lee's failure to consider that
        > option on the
        > 9th, that wrested the initiative from the Confederacy. This
        > was exacerbated
        > by Lee's inaccurate intel regarding the movement of the AotP up
        > to that
        > point. The blame for that rests firmly on the shoulders of JEB
        > Stuart, IMO.
        >
        > Harry

      • flagflop
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 14, 2008
          Harry, Generally agree. "Lee" (or staff?) either under-estimated or
          was unrealistically demanding in time allocation, and seems to have
          under-estimated the difficulty of getting arty on Elk Ridge/Md Hgts
          and the resistence Kershaw would encounter. In So Hist Coll at Chapel
          Hill, there is a McLaws complaint of being blocked from prompt
          movement by failure of Longstreet to move ahead, prompting McL to
          seek an alternate route. (This is an "off-the-top" long ago recall on
          my part.)
          Dave Gaddy