RE: [TalkAntietam] "Unfurl Those Colors!"

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12, 2008
      Harry,
      I have noticed this too, and am disappointed, but not desparately so. Maybe it is alll those years of having to give a lecture to explain contrary opinions to well-established beliefs. A numbing effect eventually?

      >>> "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> 04/12/08 9:28 AM >>>
      Aw crap.

      On page 114, in a paragraph that ends with a reference to Harsh's "masterful
      study" TATF, Armstrong takes as gospel the Walker account of his meeting
      with Lee. That same conversation was pretty thoroughly discredited in the
      masterful study itself. And the whole analysis of the actions of the AotP
      in the wake of the discovery of the dated SO 191 seems does not address most
      of what Tim Reese has written on the subject, which shouldn't come as a
      surprise since none of it appears in the bibliography.

      Chapter 5 goes out with a whimper.

      But perhaps the value of the book will lay more with its tactical analysis
      of 2nd Corps than with its view of the big picture.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2008
        Ref Digest 1004, Item 1a ("Rats!" from Harry):

        I was so pleased to read Harry's comment on the conventional wisdom
        concerning the "siege" of HF (which wasn't one, nor was conceived of
        being one, unless it was an even worse job of staff/logistical
        planning that it was). Harry, your point of departure was spot on.
        Instead, we have been fed for decades the pap based upon what
        happened, not what was ordered. (Even Lee was sensitive about this,
        after the fact, defensive of the "accepted" history and of the late
        Jackson.) I hoped (hope) to develop this, based upon the CS
        (non-)provision for coordination among "three converging bodies" of
        troops, wherein Jackson was left depending upon a detailed private as
        his "signal officer," with none provided to Walker and McLaws left to
        improvise. We should judge events based upon READING SO 191, as Harry
        has done. McLaws had the primary task of eliminating the HF garrison.
        Walker was to make certain no one escaped to the south and Jax was to
        eliminate the Martinsburg troops. Only one general had a "qualified"
        signal officer with him and that was Powell Hill, with Capt RHT
        Adams, both still chafing under Jackson's arrest (Hill) and leak
        investigation (Adams). Ironically, it was Adams who brought Hill to
        the side of the wounded Jackson six months later.

        Dave Gaddy
      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 12, 2008
          I think Harsh has it right. Lee never really thought that the garrison at
          HF would hold out. The untenable nature of the place was well known from
          the beginning (see Joe Johnston in 1861), and it was pretty much assumed the
          garrison would flee, the only question being in what direction. Halleck
          unintentionally kicked over Lee's applecart by ordering Miles to hold out.
          It was that decision, or rather Lee's failure to consider that option on the
          9th, that wrested the initiative from the Confederacy. This was exacerbated
          by Lee's inaccurate intel regarding the movement of the AotP up to that
          point. The blame for that rests firmly on the shoulders of JEB Stuart, IMO.

          Harry

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008
            Spot on, Harry!

            >I think Harsh has it right. Lee never really thought that the
            >garrison at
            > HF would hold out. The untenable nature of the place was well
            > known from
            > the beginning (see Joe Johnston in 1861), and it was pretty
            > much assumed the
            > garrison would flee, the only question being in what direction.
            > Halleck
            > unintentionally kicked over Lee's applecart by ordering Miles
            > to hold out.
            > It was that decision, or rather Lee's failure to consider that
            > option on the
            > 9th, that wrested the initiative from the Confederacy. This
            > was exacerbated
            > by Lee's inaccurate intel regarding the movement of the AotP up
            > to that
            > point. The blame for that rests firmly on the shoulders of JEB
            > Stuart, IMO.
            >
            > Harry

          • flagflop
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 14, 2008
              Harry, Generally agree. "Lee" (or staff?) either under-estimated or
              was unrealistically demanding in time allocation, and seems to have
              under-estimated the difficulty of getting arty on Elk Ridge/Md Hgts
              and the resistence Kershaw would encounter. In So Hist Coll at Chapel
              Hill, there is a McLaws complaint of being blocked from prompt
              movement by failure of Longstreet to move ahead, prompting McL to
              seek an alternate route. (This is an "off-the-top" long ago recall on
              my part.)
              Dave Gaddy