Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: NC Monument at Fox's Gap and Positions of Garland's Regiments

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7 6:51 AM
      Due to the nature of use, mostly farming, grazing or wood cutting, there were little roads and trails all over the place along the Ridge or Wood Road. Every farmer that had a lot up there had a "road" leading into his lot, or connecting to another, etc. I am not sure what you're referring to, but I don't doubt that a map might show several roads.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      Dear Tom,

      Some maps I have seen of the area depicting how it looked in 1862
      seem to indicate the presence of another woods road which linked
      up with the wood road directly from the Mountain House. Both
      roads joined within a few hundred feet of the Old Sharpsburg
      Road and then traveled together.

      Do you know if this is correct?

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7 7:03 AM
        Folks,
        My son and I participated in the Park Day activity at Fox's Gap on Saturday. The MD Park Service is planning a living history event on the first weekend in June where artillery pieces will occupy some of the original ground where the opening portion of the battle was fought. The owner of the field where Bondurant's Jeff Davis Artillery was located is letting the Park use his land for the event. Saturday we cut out a non-historic tree line to restore the view and allow the proper appearance for the event. It is a great spot and I encourage all to attend the event in June.
        Also, this coming Saturday, April 12, SHAF is sponsoring a Work Day at Antietam. (We usually schedule a different day from CWPT so that we can get more done, have more NPS folks with us running chain saws, etc. If anyone cares about missing the photo op or the free tee shirt, disregard this message.) If anyone wants to join us for the Work Day, please let me know. We'll meet at the Visitor's Center parking lot at 9:00 and bring gloves, old clothes and water. Dress for the weather, we'll cancel if it is raining. It is likely we'll be removing more of the non-historic tree line between the Mumma and Roulette farms. See you there!

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens