Re: Col. Benjamin Davis near Sharpsburg on 9/14

  • cowie_steve
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2008
      Larry,

      Thanks so much for clarifying.

      To refresh, Murfin's GOB, page 153, placed the 10:00 p.m. contact between the escaping
      Federal cavalry column and Confederate pickets "near the edge of Sharpsburg." Carmen's
      placement "at the mouth of Antietam Creek near the Potomac" makes much more sense to
      me.

      Best,

      Steve

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2008
        I am familiar with Carman's account and the letters, reports, etc. he used to write that passage. Murfin used Carman as his source on this. I am also familiar with how far it is from Solomon's Gap to What is essentially today Sample's Manor and that is a hell of a distance to picket with 300 men. Given the reductions for picket reserves, those supporting Hart's guns and the signal detachment on Elk Ridge, it doesn't leave a lot of guys to stretch that distance. Dennis Frye, who knows the MD Campaign quite well and grew up in Pleasant Valley, finds this passage hard to accept. Yet Carman's sources say it happened, and he takes that as gospel. This passage really illustrates the difficulty and ambiguity of dealing with Carman.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        wrote:

        > Hello, Forum.
        >
        > Murfin's GOB, page 153, describes Benjamin Davis's vanguard of
        escapees, the 12th Illinois,
        > as coming into contact with Confederate pickets near the edge of
        the Sharpsburg village
        > around 10:00 p.m. on the evening of 9/14. Murfin's source is
        William Luff of the 12th Illinois,
        > who claims to have been fired upon by CS artillery at this same
        time, as well.

        > After giving Dr. Harsh's TAF a thorough read, I can find little
        evidence to support CS infantry,
        > cavalry or artillery from the day's mountain gap battles being near
        the edge of Sharpsburg at
        > 10:00 p.m. on 9/14.
        >
        > Could someone please shed some light on this matter?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Steve

      • joseph_pierro
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2008
          Tom is correct regarding the distances involved in Carman's version
          of the event. It does give one pause. On the other hand, I've yet to
          find any contemporary evidence to contradict the claim.

          Also, the purpose of picketing, after all, is simply to give notice
          of an enemy's approach, not to attempt any appreciable resistance.
          And we're talking about picketing during the operational stage of a
          campaign (as opposed to the tactical phase, when the bulk of both
          armies are in close proximity, in their main battle lines). Given the
          distances over which the ANV was scattered at the time, the vast
          expanse of mileage over which potential threats could come, and the
          number of different avenues of approach from which the ANV had to
          guard against being attacked in detail, a distance as great as Carman
          records for those pickets is not entirely out of the realm of either
          possibility or military soundness.

          On the larger issue, one good thing to keep in mind whenever dealing
          with the Carman mss. is that the focus of his research overall was in
          furtherance of his official task: to mark the battlefield of Sept.
          17. That's where the bulk of his energies were directed -- on
          Antietam. Much of his focus on other aspects of the campaign -- South
          Mountain, for instance -- was undertaken primarily with regard to
          what the unit strengths would have been by the time they reached the
          field at Antietam. 9/17 was always uppermost.

          Of course, his manuscript covers the entire campaign, however. I
          don;t mean to suggest that it isn't of tremendous value OUTSIDE of
          9/17, but the area of Carman's greatest expertise was on the battle
          of Antietam. (Or, to put it more generously, he was on even FIRMER
          ground when discussing Antietam than he was on other aspects of the
          campaign.)

          I noticed in my work that, as he moves away from the battle itself,
          he tends to defer a bit more to his sources and is less willing to
          second-guess them.

          --jake