Re: NC Monument at Fox's Gap and Positions of Garland's Regiments

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 1:48 PM
      That is quite helpful, and helps to explain my confusion of distance
      while trying to match the maps in the book to the ground. I'm going to
      dust off my copy of the War College Guide - with that and these notes,
      I ought to be able to get my bearings.

      Many thanks, Dr. Clemens and Gerry! Now, if my wife will just let me
      stop there on the way home from park day at Antietam this Saturday!

      Thanks,

      Steve
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 2:10 PM
        Steve...

        Simple solution to that problem....do not tell her!

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2 10:49 AM
          LOL! Speaking of Obt. Svt's - I already spilled the beans. But my
          wife is very indulging of my battlefield obsession. She loves the
          outdoors, and doesn't mind me droning on about this or that
          regiment.

          I am also thinking about hiking the portion of the Appalachian Trail
          between Turner's and Fox's Gaps, which I am guessing follows the
          trace of the old Mountain Rd?

          Steve

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2 10:52 AM
            Yes it does, or the Wood road as they called it. If you start north from Fox's Gap, where the Stonewall regiment marker is located, it will bring you out at South Mt. Inn's parking lot.

            Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2 2:46 PM
              Dear Tom,

              Some maps I have seen of the area depicting how it looked in 1862
              seem to indicate the presence of another woods road which linked
              up with the wood road directly from the Mountain House. Both
              roads joined within a few hundred feet of the Old Sharpsburg
              Road and then traveled together.

              Do you know if this is correct?

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 7 7:03 AM
                  Folks,
                  My son and I participated in the Park Day activity at Fox's Gap on Saturday. The MD Park Service is planning a living history event on the first weekend in June where artillery pieces will occupy some of the original ground where the opening portion of the battle was fought. The owner of the field where Bondurant's Jeff Davis Artillery was located is letting the Park use his land for the event. Saturday we cut out a non-historic tree line to restore the view and allow the proper appearance for the event. It is a great spot and I encourage all to attend the event in June.
                  Also, this coming Saturday, April 12, SHAF is sponsoring a Work Day at Antietam. (We usually schedule a different day from CWPT so that we can get more done, have more NPS folks with us running chain saws, etc. If anyone cares about missing the photo op or the free tee shirt, disregard this message.) If anyone wants to join us for the Work Day, please let me know. We'll meet at the Visitor's Center parking lot at 9:00 and bring gloves, old clothes and water. Dress for the weather, we'll cancel if it is raining. It is likely we'll be removing more of the non-historic tree line between the Mumma and Roulette farms. See you there!

                  Dr. Thomas G. Clemens