Re: [TalkAntietam] NC Monument at Fox's Gap and Positions of Garland's Regiments

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
      Steve,
      A friend who is quite an authority on Fox's Gap sends this for a reply:\

      Please allow me to return a favor to the Talk Antietam group.

      The North Carolina Monument is directly adjacent to the last position occupied by the 20th N.C.. that is the open field immediately south of the monument. The next field south was occupied by the 23rd N.C. The 5th N.C. was in the farthest field south under the present power lines. Bondurants battery was deployed to the left (north) of the 5th N.C. and Rosser's 5th Va. Cav. (dismounted), plus two guns of Stuart's Horse Artillery to the right (south) of the 5th N.C. The 12th N.C. was in reserve to the left of the 5th, eventually they marched out into the field and were engaged in the late morning.
      The 13th N.C. remained in the vicinity of Wise's Field and were eventually joined in the late morning by Anderson's 2nd and 4th N.C.

      Steve should be aware that Priest's maps are highly inaccurate. They show the Fox's Gap combat taking place in an area about half the actual size of the battlefield.

      Hope this helps,

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "Steve" <myness@...> 3/31/2008 4:42 PM >>>

      I was hiking around Fox's Gap yesterday (cold!) and saw the NC monument
      there for the first time. I have been trying to determine the position
      of the monument relative to that of the 5th/23rd and 20th NC regiments
      during the fight for the gap. Can anyone clarify this for me?

      I have been reading Priest's "Before Antietam" and decided to visit the
      ground.

      Thanks!

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
        That is quite helpful, and helps to explain my confusion of distance
        while trying to match the maps in the book to the ground. I'm going to
        dust off my copy of the War College Guide - with that and these notes,
        I ought to be able to get my bearings.

        Many thanks, Dr. Clemens and Gerry! Now, if my wife will just let me
        stop there on the way home from park day at Antietam this Saturday!

        Thanks,

        Steve
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
          Steve...

          Simple solution to that problem....do not tell her!

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
            LOL! Speaking of Obt. Svt's - I already spilled the beans. But my
            wife is very indulging of my battlefield obsession. She loves the
            outdoors, and doesn't mind me droning on about this or that
            regiment.

            I am also thinking about hiking the portion of the Appalachian Trail
            between Turner's and Fox's Gaps, which I am guessing follows the
            trace of the old Mountain Rd?

            Steve

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
              Yes it does, or the Wood road as they called it. If you start north from Fox's Gap, where the Stonewall regiment marker is located, it will bring you out at South Mt. Inn's parking lot.

              Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
                Dear Tom,

                Some maps I have seen of the area depicting how it looked in 1862
                seem to indicate the presence of another woods road which linked
                up with the wood road directly from the Mountain House. Both
                roads joined within a few hundred feet of the Old Sharpsburg
                Road and then traveled together.

                Do you know if this is correct?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 7, 2008
                    Folks,
                    My son and I participated in the Park Day activity at Fox's Gap on Saturday. The MD Park Service is planning a living history event on the first weekend in June where artillery pieces will occupy some of the original ground where the opening portion of the battle was fought. The owner of the field where Bondurant's Jeff Davis Artillery was located is letting the Park use his land for the event. Saturday we cut out a non-historic tree line to restore the view and allow the proper appearance for the event. It is a great spot and I encourage all to attend the event in June.
                    Also, this coming Saturday, April 12, SHAF is sponsoring a Work Day at Antietam. (We usually schedule a different day from CWPT so that we can get more done, have more NPS folks with us running chain saws, etc. If anyone cares about missing the photo op or the free tee shirt, disregard this message.) If anyone wants to join us for the Work Day, please let me know. We'll meet at the Visitor's Center parking lot at 9:00 and bring gloves, old clothes and water. Dress for the weather, we'll cancel if it is raining. It is likely we'll be removing more of the non-historic tree line between the Mumma and Roulette farms. See you there!

                    Dr. Thomas G. Clemens