Re: General Lee's Army

  • joseph_pierro
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
      I'm reviewing it right now for Civil War Times.

      It compares the Freeman in terms of scope and the amoutn of reserach,
      but the focus is totally different. Glatthaar's is a study of what the
      army WAS much more than what it did, and accordingly it's much more of
      a bottom-up view than Lee's Lieutenants. It's primarily a sociological
      study of the army as an organization throughout the course of the war.

      In keeping with the sociological framework, it's very stat-heavy--which
      can be very useful to those inclinded toward metrics, provided you
      accept Glatthaar's sampling technique.

      He spoke at the Virginia Historical Society a few weeks ago. The VHS
      has since started posting the audio of all of its lectures on its
      website, so I'd recommend giving it a listen. The talk he gave was
      essentially the second half of his concluding chapter.
      --jake