Re: [TalkAntietam] General Lee's Army

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2008
      I've seen some positive reviews and Joe is a good historian, so I'll likely buy it. Haven't read it yet.

      There is this new book out about the ANV, "General Lee's Army" by
      Joseph Glatthaar. I heard it compared favorably to Freeman's Lee's
      Lieutenants. Has anyone read it? Thanks.

      Stephen
    • joseph_pierro
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
        I'm reviewing it right now for Civil War Times.

        It compares the Freeman in terms of scope and the amoutn of reserach,
        but the focus is totally different. Glatthaar's is a study of what the
        army WAS much more than what it did, and accordingly it's much more of
        a bottom-up view than Lee's Lieutenants. It's primarily a sociological
        study of the army as an organization throughout the course of the war.

        In keeping with the sociological framework, it's very stat-heavy--which
        can be very useful to those inclinded toward metrics, provided you
        accept Glatthaar's sampling technique.

        He spoke at the Virginia Historical Society a few weeks ago. The VHS
        has since started posting the audio of all of its lectures on its
        website, so I'd recommend giving it a listen. The talk he gave was
        essentially the second half of his concluding chapter.
        --jake