Re: Lol! Good news, Amazon buyers!

  • joseph_pierro
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2008
      Let's give credit where credit is due, Harry! It's General Carman's
      book, and the man deserves ALL the credit.

      That said, I look foward to seeing what you have to say about it.

      --j

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2008
        There is this new book out about the ANV, "General Lee's Army" by
        Joseph Glatthaar. I heard it compared favorably to Freeman's Lee's
        Lieutenants. Has anyone read it? Thanks.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 30, 2008
          I've seen some positive reviews and Joe is a good historian, so I'll likely buy it. Haven't read it yet.

          There is this new book out about the ANV, "General Lee's Army" by
          Joseph Glatthaar. I heard it compared favorably to Freeman's Lee's
          Lieutenants. Has anyone read it? Thanks.

          Stephen
        • joseph_pierro
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
            I'm reviewing it right now for Civil War Times.

            It compares the Freeman in terms of scope and the amoutn of reserach,
            but the focus is totally different. Glatthaar's is a study of what the
            army WAS much more than what it did, and accordingly it's much more of
            a bottom-up view than Lee's Lieutenants. It's primarily a sociological
            study of the army as an organization throughout the course of the war.

            In keeping with the sociological framework, it's very stat-heavy--which
            can be very useful to those inclinded toward metrics, provided you
            accept Glatthaar's sampling technique.

            He spoke at the Virginia Historical Society a few weeks ago. The VHS
            has since started posting the audio of all of its lectures on its
            website, so I'd recommend giving it a listen. The talk he gave was
            essentially the second half of his concluding chapter.
            --jake