Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Lol! Good news, Amazon buyers!

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2008
      Bill,

      As Mr. Pierro has pointed out to me, while maps would have been helpful, they presented two problems. For one, they would have been either useless (the Atlas maps are too large and too detailed to reproduce on a small scale in their entirety) or perhaps not what the author (Carman) intended, had Pierro created his own maps as was done in the case of the recent Cunningham Shiloh book, and this is after all Carman's book. For another, they would have significantly increased the cost of production and therefore the price of the book.

      Yep, my cover board warped, too. But as I look at my son's textbooks nearby, I notice that eventually the suppleness of the covers causes them to flatten out again.

      Harry
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2008
        Let's give credit where credit is due, Harry! It's General Carman's
        book, and the man deserves ALL the credit.

        That said, I look foward to seeing what you have to say about it.

        --j

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 30, 2008
          There is this new book out about the ANV, "General Lee's Army" by
          Joseph Glatthaar. I heard it compared favorably to Freeman's Lee's
          Lieutenants. Has anyone read it? Thanks.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 30, 2008
            I've seen some positive reviews and Joe is a good historian, so I'll likely buy it. Haven't read it yet.

            There is this new book out about the ANV, "General Lee's Army" by
            Joseph Glatthaar. I heard it compared favorably to Freeman's Lee's
            Lieutenants. Has anyone read it? Thanks.

            Stephen
          • joseph_pierro
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
              I'm reviewing it right now for Civil War Times.

              It compares the Freeman in terms of scope and the amoutn of reserach,
              but the focus is totally different. Glatthaar's is a study of what the
              army WAS much more than what it did, and accordingly it's much more of
              a bottom-up view than Lee's Lieutenants. It's primarily a sociological
              study of the army as an organization throughout the course of the war.

              In keeping with the sociological framework, it's very stat-heavy--which
              can be very useful to those inclinded toward metrics, provided you
              accept Glatthaar's sampling technique.

              He spoke at the Virginia Historical Society a few weeks ago. The VHS
              has since started posting the audio of all of its lectures on its
              website, so I'd recommend giving it a listen. The talk he gave was
              essentially the second half of his concluding chapter.
              --jake