Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Regiments Brigaded Together

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
      Thanks Jake... I should have remembered them, though
      aren't they actually organized that way permanently?
      As opposed to temporary matters?

      There are several regiments of regulars set up like
      that out west, too.

      Dean

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
        In the AOP some of both. The "old" regiments only had ten companies, and because all ten were almost never in one place they operated as demi-regiments, or battalions, the term applied for units with less than ten companies. Thus some of the old regiments fought combined, most notably at 1 BR. Even by Antietam several were small in #s and not having ten compaines were combined. OTOH, the new regiments, 11th thru 18th I think, had a two-battalion structure with eight companies in each. They could, and did, operate separately at times.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        >>> Dean Essig <dean_essig@...> 3/26/2008 12:42 PM >>>

        Thanks Jake... I should have remembered them, though
        aren't they actually organized that way permanently?
        As opposed to temporary matters?

        There are several regiments of regulars set up like
        that out west, too.

        Dean
        --- joseph_pierro <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

        > Dean:
        >
        > The only other ones that occur to me are some of the
        > Regulars in
        > Lovell's Brigade (2d Div; Fifth Corps).
        >
        > Specifically, the 1st and 6th U.S (Capt. Levi C.
        > Bootes) and the 2d
        > and 10th U.S. (Capt. John S. Poland).
        >
        > --Jake

      • joseph_pierro
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
          Dean:

          As a practical matter (at least for part of the war), yes (which is
          to say, it isn't just an ad hoc arrangement for Sept. 17).
          Technically speaking, though, no -- it's never a "permanent" fusion.

          The 2d and the 10th U.S., for instance, are (at least on paper) two
          distinct regimental organizations for the duration.

          Hence, you'll see that on Poland's after-action report for Antietam,
          he signs himself as "Captain Second Infantry, Comdg. Second and Tenth
          Infantry."

          --jake

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig <dean_essig@...>