Re: Regiments Brigaded Together

  • joseph_pierro
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
      Dean:

      The only other ones that occur to me are some of the Regulars in
      Lovell's Brigade (2d Div; Fifth Corps).

      Specifically, the 1st and 6th U.S (Capt. Levi C. Bootes) and the 2d
      and 10th U.S. (Capt. John S. Poland).

      --Jake

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...>
      wrote:

      > Hey Guys!
      >
      > Unfurl those Colors makes a point of talking about the delicate
      nature of regiments
      > combining under one commander (essentially to fight as one
      regiment) and uses the example
      > of the 61 and 64 NY under Barlow.
      >
      > As such, a lot of this is under the radar, so to speak, is anybody
      aware of any other such
      > brigaded regiments? On either side? at Antietam.
      >
      > Naturally, some of the Confederate brigades that contained very,
      very few men would
      > automatically become essentially regiments for drill purposes.
      That's a different matter than
      > what I'm trying to find.
      >
      > Basically, I'm trying to find regimental pairs that operated under
      one of the two colonels.

      > Thanks!
      >
      > Dean

    • Dean Essig
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
        Thanks Jake... I should have remembered them, though
        aren't they actually organized that way permanently?
        As opposed to temporary matters?

        There are several regiments of regulars set up like
        that out west, too.

        Dean

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
          In the AOP some of both. The "old" regiments only had ten companies, and because all ten were almost never in one place they operated as demi-regiments, or battalions, the term applied for units with less than ten companies. Thus some of the old regiments fought combined, most notably at 1 BR. Even by Antietam several were small in #s and not having ten compaines were combined. OTOH, the new regiments, 11th thru 18th I think, had a two-battalion structure with eight companies in each. They could, and did, operate separately at times.

          Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

          >>> Dean Essig <dean_essig@...> 3/26/2008 12:42 PM >>>

          Thanks Jake... I should have remembered them, though
          aren't they actually organized that way permanently?
          As opposed to temporary matters?

          There are several regiments of regulars set up like
          that out west, too.

          Dean
          --- joseph_pierro <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

          > Dean:
          >
          > The only other ones that occur to me are some of the
          > Regulars in
          > Lovell's Brigade (2d Div; Fifth Corps).
          >
          > Specifically, the 1st and 6th U.S (Capt. Levi C.
          > Bootes) and the 2d
          > and 10th U.S. (Capt. John S. Poland).
          >
          > --Jake

        • joseph_pierro
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
            Dean:

            As a practical matter (at least for part of the war), yes (which is
            to say, it isn't just an ad hoc arrangement for Sept. 17).
            Technically speaking, though, no -- it's never a "permanent" fusion.

            The 2d and the 10th U.S., for instance, are (at least on paper) two
            distinct regimental organizations for the duration.

            Hence, you'll see that on Poland's after-action report for Antietam,
            he signs himself as "Captain Second Infantry, Comdg. Second and Tenth
            Infantry."