Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Bees in the Bloody Lane

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 25 6:13 PM
      Gerry, here is my brief synopsis of the alignment of French's Division (with due credit to Carman):

      French's Divsion attacked with Weber in advance, followed by Morris, with Kimball initially in reserve.

      Weber's brigade attacked with 1st Delaware was on it's right, 5th Maryland in center, and 4th New York on the left of Roulette's lane (i.e. south side) .

      Morris' Brigade followed Weber. When it advanced out of the woods, Weber's Brigade was about 300 yards ahead of it. The 14th Connecticut was on the right and 130th Pennsylvania in the middle (it's left on Roulette lane). The 108th New York moved on the left of the brigade, its right resting on Roulette lane (it moved up to the line held by the 4th New York, its left extending beyond it).

      Kimball had 14th Indiana on his right flank, then 8th Ohio on their left (the left company of 8th Ohio was crowded beyond Roulette lane), then 132nd PA on south side of Roulette lane, and 7th VA (aka 7 WV) anchoring the brigade's left flank .

      Carman map of Meagher's alignment is posted on my trip report below:
      http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/antietam.htm

      On that map, you will note that 14th IND and 8th OH (of Kimballl's brigade) are hanging in there atop the ridgeline firing down on the Sunken Road as Meagher attacks. Kimball's brigade was severely engaged, with nearly half of the men of the 14th IND and 8th OH killed and wounded. As Caldwell advanced, Kimball made a charge, which was followed by the retreat of Rodes. Kimball says he drove the enemy "some distance into the cornfield beyond."

      When Colonel Cooke (commanding 27th North Carolina and 3rd Arkansas) attacked toward Kimball's right flank, Kimball promptly ordered a change of front. Their new position was parallel to Roulette Lane, running from Clipp Farm to Sunken Road.

      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 10, 2008

        I was referring to the counterattack by 27th NC & 3rd ARK after Bloody Lane fell. It's covered by Sears on pg 250 of LANDSCAPE TURNED RED, but Armstrong provides far more detail.