Re: Bees in the Bloody Lane

  • cowie_steve
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 25, 2008
      Hi, Stephen.

      Priest cites this beehive incident near the Roulette's orchard fence in "Soldier's Story," page
      141. His source is the same one you listed below: the diary of Private John Hemmengen of
      the 130th PA, E Co--as well as Oliver C. Bosbyshell's "Pennsylvania at Antietam."

      Priest writes about the 130th PA bee incident:

      "Rushing across the open ground, the 130th Pennsylvania quickly smashed the picket
      fence bordering the orchard to splinters with its rifle butts. The air buzzed and whirled
      with thousands of enraged honeybees, after the bumbling Pennsylvanians disturbed their
      hives. The bees, as Private Hemmingen put it, "urged" them forward. The regiment
      reassembled in the orchard south of the farm house with its left flank bordering the farm
      lane, then moved on."

      Regarding the other bee incident with the 132nd PA, per Bosbyshell, Priest writes on page
      146 that the "right wing double quicked through the eastern section of Roulette's yard,
      trampling the family garden to death. The men smashed into a row of white washed crates
      on the southern edge of the yard and upset them. They knocked over Roulette's beehives
      and the angered bees swarmed the regiment. Soldiers broke and ran with the bees in
      pursuit."

      In this account of the 132nd PA, there is no mention of a shell or solid shot capsizing the
      beehives. Interesting...

      Steve

      > Private John D. Hemmingen of the 130th PA:
      >
      > "In our line of advance a number of beehives were over turned, and the
      > little fellows resented the intrusion, and did most unceremoniously
      > charge upon us, accelerating our speed through the orchard toward the
      > entrenched position of the enemy".
      >
      > This is from page 213 of "Unfurl Those Colors".
      >
      > Notes: Hemmingen, John D. "Diary of John D. Hemmingen, Company E, 130th
      > Pennsylvania."
      > TMs (typescript). Michael Winey Collection, Military History Institute,
      > Carlisle, PA.
      >
      > Nothing about a fence.
      >
      > On Monday, March 24, 2008, at 04:20 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
      >
      > > Can you provide where you obtained the information about the
      > > 130th PVI upsetting the beehives while trying to take down a
      > > fence during their advance?
      > >

      > Stephen

    • RoteBaron
      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 10, 2008

        I was referring to the counterattack by 27th NC & 3rd ARK after Bloody Lane fell. It's covered by Sears on pg 250 of LANDSCAPE TURNED RED, but Armstrong provides far more detail.