Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: South Mt. purchase

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
      Yes, that is correct. A new house has just been constructed at the intersection
      and the driveway is almost exactly where the oak stood.

      David Lutton wrote:

      > Reading the recent posts concerning the South Mountain purchase has raised a
      > question for me concerning the site of Reno's Oak.
      > My impression was that if one was coming down the hill from Reno's Monument
      > the site of the oak tree was on the left at the intersection with Fox's Gap
      > Road? Is this correct??
      >
      > By the way I was the one who originally asked the question about the
      > purchase area and if I did not thank everyone for their input I apoligize.
      >
      > David Lutton
      > Hollidaysburg Pa

    • ringgold61
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
        --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
        > Yes, that is correct. A new house has just been constructed at the
        intersection and the driveway is almost exactly where the oak stood.

        I've never been one to wish ill will upon anyone, but I sure hope
        Jesse haunts that new house something FIERCE! At least a few
        unexplained, late night cannon shots should be in order.

        Mark A. Pflum
      • Ray Ortensie
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 7, 2002
          My feelings exactly. I also feel that way about farm land being taken over
          for new subdivisions. I hope stampedes of cattle run through the halls (or
          at least leave a few pies!).

          Ray
          > > Yes, that is correct. A new house has just been constructed at the
          > intersection and the driveway is almost exactly where the oak stood.
          >

          > I've never been one to wish ill will upon anyone, but I sure hope
          > Jesse haunts that new house something FIERCE! At least a few
          > unexplained, late night cannon shots should be in order.
          >
          > Mark A. Pflum

        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 7, 2002
            Mark,
            I know what you mean, but it is a good and bad situation. Good, they sold
            the easements on their large farm in the middle ofthe battlefield, bad, they
            reserved the right to build one house whereve they wanted, guess where. Not
            the best situation, but not the worst either.
            Tom