Regiments Brigaded Together

  • dean_essig
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 24, 2008
      Hey Guys!

      Unfurl those Colors makes a point of talking about the delicate nature of regiments
      combining under one commander (essentially to fight as one regiment) and uses the example
      of the 61 and 64 NY under Barlow.

      As such, a lot of this is under the radar, so to speak, is anybody aware of any other such
      brigaded regiments? On either side? at Antietam.

      Naturally, some of the Confederate brigades that contained very, very few men would
      automatically become essentially regiments for drill purposes. That's a different matter than
      what I'm trying to find.

      Basically, I'm trying to find regimental pairs that operated under one of the two colonels.

      Thanks!

      Dean
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
        Dean,
        With the exception you mentioned of some very small Confederate brigades, I don't think there are any other "combined regiments" at Antietam.
        BTW, some Union brigades were pretty small too, Phelps took no more than 425 men into the fight.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        >>> "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...> 3/24/2008 4:34 PM >>>

        Hey Guys!

        Unfurl those Colors makes a point of talking about the delicate nature of regiments
        combining under one commander (essentially to fight as one regiment) and uses the example
        of the 61 and 64 NY under Barlow.

        As such, a lot of this is under the radar, so to speak, is anybody aware of any other such
        brigaded regiments? On either side? at Antietam.

        Naturally, some of the Confederate brigades that contained very, very few men would
        automatically become essentially regiments for drill purposes. That's a different matter than
        what I'm trying to find.

        Basically, I'm trying to find regimental pairs that operated under one of the two colonels.

        Thanks!

        Dean

      • Dean Essig
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
          Thanks Tom... just cross-checking here. The group is a
          wealth of information, if anybody knew, they'd be
          here.

          Both Phelps and Hofmann are strange brigades. Very
          small, plus both of them had one regiment that was "a
          little bigger" which it used as a second element (2
          USSS with Phelps and the 56 Penn with Hofmann).

          --- Thomas Clemens <clemenst@...> wrote:

          > Dean,
          > With the exception you mentioned of some very small
          > Confederate brigades, I don't think there are any
          > other "combined regiments" at Antietam.
          > BTW, some Union brigades were pretty small too,
          > Phelps took no more than 425 men into the fight.
          >

          > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

          > 4:34 PM >>>
          >
          > Hey Guys!
          >
          > Unfurl those Colors makes a point of talking about
          > the delicate nature of regiments
          > combining under one commander (essentially to fight
          > as one regiment) and uses the example
          > of the 61 and 64 NY under Barlow.
          >
          > As such, a lot of this is under the radar, so to
          > speak, is anybody aware of any other such
          > brigaded regiments? On either side? at Antietam.
          >
          > Naturally, some of the Confederate brigades that
          > contained very, very few men would
          > automatically become essentially regiments for drill
          > purposes. That's a different matter than
          > what I'm trying to find.
          >
          > Basically, I'm trying to find regimental pairs that
          > operated under one of the two colonels.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Dean

          > removed]

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • joseph_pierro
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
            Dean:

            The only other ones that occur to me are some of the Regulars in
            Lovell's Brigade (2d Div; Fifth Corps).

            Specifically, the 1st and 6th U.S (Capt. Levi C. Bootes) and the 2d
            and 10th U.S. (Capt. John S. Poland).

            --Jake

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...>
            wrote:

            > Hey Guys!
            >
            > Unfurl those Colors makes a point of talking about the delicate
            nature of regiments
            > combining under one commander (essentially to fight as one
            regiment) and uses the example
            > of the 61 and 64 NY under Barlow.
            >
            > As such, a lot of this is under the radar, so to speak, is anybody
            aware of any other such
            > brigaded regiments? On either side? at Antietam.
            >
            > Naturally, some of the Confederate brigades that contained very,
            very few men would
            > automatically become essentially regiments for drill purposes.
            That's a different matter than
            > what I'm trying to find.
            >
            > Basically, I'm trying to find regimental pairs that operated under
            one of the two colonels.

            > Thanks!
            >
            > Dean

          • Dean Essig
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
              Thanks Jake... I should have remembered them, though
              aren't they actually organized that way permanently?
              As opposed to temporary matters?

              There are several regiments of regulars set up like
              that out west, too.

              Dean

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
                In the AOP some of both. The "old" regiments only had ten companies, and because all ten were almost never in one place they operated as demi-regiments, or battalions, the term applied for units with less than ten companies. Thus some of the old regiments fought combined, most notably at 1 BR. Even by Antietam several were small in #s and not having ten compaines were combined. OTOH, the new regiments, 11th thru 18th I think, had a two-battalion structure with eight companies in each. They could, and did, operate separately at times.

                Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                >>> Dean Essig <dean_essig@...> 3/26/2008 12:42 PM >>>

                Thanks Jake... I should have remembered them, though
                aren't they actually organized that way permanently?
                As opposed to temporary matters?

                There are several regiments of regulars set up like
                that out west, too.

                Dean
                --- joseph_pierro <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

                > Dean:
                >
                > The only other ones that occur to me are some of the
                > Regulars in
                > Lovell's Brigade (2d Div; Fifth Corps).
                >
                > Specifically, the 1st and 6th U.S (Capt. Levi C.
                > Bootes) and the 2d
                > and 10th U.S. (Capt. John S. Poland).
                >
                > --Jake

              • joseph_pierro
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
                  Dean:

                  As a practical matter (at least for part of the war), yes (which is
                  to say, it isn't just an ad hoc arrangement for Sept. 17).
                  Technically speaking, though, no -- it's never a "permanent" fusion.

                  The 2d and the 10th U.S., for instance, are (at least on paper) two
                  distinct regimental organizations for the duration.

                  Hence, you'll see that on Poland's after-action report for Antietam,
                  he signs himself as "Captain Second Infantry, Comdg. Second and Tenth
                  Infantry."