Re: South Mt. purchase

  • ringgold61
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 5, 2002
      --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "Curt Johnson" <ccj@w...> wrote:
      Hi, Mark,
      <<SNIP>>
      > If I understand your comments about the location where these folks
      went into battery, you are talking about the yards and fields in the
      vicinity of the site of the Reno Oak. While I don't disagree with
      that site, there was also a site further up the hill and closer to
      the Reno Monument, where there is a shelf on the north side of the
      road (east of Wise's North Field) that was occupied by Federal
      artillery. It was there that (I think) Cook's Bty. was wrecked. All
      this is off the top of my head.

      > Best wishes,
      > Curt

      ~~~ Your spot is the one I was referring to. It's only about half-
      way down the hill (on the right side, looking downhill) between the
      monument and the former Oak site. I wish I could remember the name
      on the mailboxes . . .

      How badly were Cook's boys treated? From Durell's unit history, I
      thought they had simply been driven from their guns by a scalding
      fire from close Confederate infantry. The Massachusetts men were
      able to retire their guns from the field while the Pennsylvanians
      were serving their pieces. The guns of the two batteries were in
      front along the same line if I recall correctly. Cook's Battery was
      in action three days later with their old guns, so they couldn't have
      been too roughly handled. I've often wondered what their loss in men
      was on that mountain.

      Mark A. Pflum
    • David Lutton
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
        Reading the recent posts concerning the South Mountain purchase has raised a
        question for me concerning the site of Reno's Oak.
        My impression was that if one was coming down the hill from Reno's Monument
        the site of the oak tree was on the left at the intersection with Fox's Gap
        Road? Is this correct??

        By the way I was the one who originally asked the question about the
        purchase area and if I did not thank everyone for their input I apoligize.

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa
        > > If I understand your comments about the location where these folks
        > went into battery, you are talking about the yards and fields in the
        > vicinity of the site of the Reno Oak. While I don't disagree with
        > that site, there was also a site further up the hill and closer to
        > the Reno Monument, where there is a shelf on the north side of the
        > road (east of Wise's North Field) that was occupied by Federal
        > artillery. It was there that (I think) Cook's Bty. was wrecked. All
        > this is off the top of my head.
        > >
        > > Best wishes,
        > > Curt
        >
        > ~~~ Your spot is the one I was referring to. It's only about half-
        > way down the hill (on the right side, looking downhill) between the
        > monument and the former Oak site. I wish I could remember the name
        > on the mailboxes . . .
        >
        > How badly were Cook's boys treated? From Durell's unit history, I
        > thought they had simply been driven from their guns by a scalding
        > fire from close Confederate infantry. The Massachusetts men were
        > able to retire their guns from the field while the Pennsylvanians
        > were serving their pieces. The guns of the two batteries were in
        > front along the same line if I recall correctly. Cook's Battery was
        > in action three days later with their old guns, so they couldn't have
        > been too roughly handled. I've often wondered what their loss in men
        > was on that mountain.
        >
        > Mark A. Pflum

      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
          Yes, that is correct. A new house has just been constructed at the intersection
          and the driveway is almost exactly where the oak stood.

          David Lutton wrote:

          > Reading the recent posts concerning the South Mountain purchase has raised a
          > question for me concerning the site of Reno's Oak.
          > My impression was that if one was coming down the hill from Reno's Monument
          > the site of the oak tree was on the left at the intersection with Fox's Gap
          > Road? Is this correct??
          >
          > By the way I was the one who originally asked the question about the
          > purchase area and if I did not thank everyone for their input I apoligize.
          >
          > David Lutton
          > Hollidaysburg Pa

        • ringgold61
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
            --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Tom Clemens <clemens@c...> wrote:
            > Yes, that is correct. A new house has just been constructed at the
            intersection and the driveway is almost exactly where the oak stood.

            I've never been one to wish ill will upon anyone, but I sure hope
            Jesse haunts that new house something FIERCE! At least a few
            unexplained, late night cannon shots should be in order.

            Mark A. Pflum
          • Ray Ortensie
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 7, 2002
              My feelings exactly. I also feel that way about farm land being taken over
              for new subdivisions. I hope stampedes of cattle run through the halls (or
              at least leave a few pies!).

              Ray
              > > Yes, that is correct. A new house has just been constructed at the
              > intersection and the driveway is almost exactly where the oak stood.
              >

              > I've never been one to wish ill will upon anyone, but I sure hope
              > Jesse haunts that new house something FIERCE! At least a few
              > unexplained, late night cannon shots should be in order.
              >
              > Mark A. Pflum

            • Tom Clemens
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 7, 2002
                Mark,
                I know what you mean, but it is a good and bad situation. Good, they sold
                the easements on their large farm in the middle ofthe battlefield, bad, they
                reserved the right to build one house whereve they wanted, guess where. Not
                the best situation, but not the worst either.
                Tom